Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Maiden Voyage

Options
New to the Egg Game
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello to all!

I finally was able to make my 1st cook on my Large after almost 4 weeks of anxious waiting, and wow, what a success! I've cooked on my friends' before, so I've had a little experience, but there's absolutely nothing like a first cook. Here is the sparkling clean, infant baby Large BGE:
sfiBF.jpg

I decided to go with ribeyes, a favorite of mine, but I decided to listen to all of you and go with hot-tubbing and the T-Rex method. I was a little worried about trying a new way of cooking on my first try, but I'll never doubt you guys again!

The specimens, 1.5" thick prime boneless Ribeyes:
urGj6.jpg
I seasoned with only a little Olive Oil, Kosher salt, and fresh cracked pepper.

The bottle of choice for the inauguration:
tyqLn.jpg

After the sear, ~90 seconds on each side:
OtBSi.jpg

I should add my thoughts about the sear. I tried it with the dome closed this time (~700F), but next time I'll try it dome open as suggested on the Naked Whiz and here's why I think it might be better... 1st off, the fire was a little out of control and I singed a few arm hairs when trying to flip them :) I learned to put on my grilling gloves REAL QUICK. 2nd, the dome was hard to get down to 400F in 20 minutes. I figure it might be a little easier if the dome is not being heated during the lava hot sears. Would like to hear you guys' thoughts on that.

After 5 minutes on each side at 475F, while steadily coming down for the rest of the cook until I got to around 400F. This is post 5 minute rest:
xB6nh.jpg

I checked with a Thermapen before I took them off. Steak on left measuring 130F, other one up to 140F. The higher temp steak was well done on some parts, but actually med-rare at others (how I prefer). The consolation though was that the well done part was still DELICIOUS and juicy. Next time, I'll check the temp once more on the last flip, to see if I have any running a little hotter than others.

Finished product:
AJAUu.jpg

Overall, a delicious meal. I did the baked potatoes on the egg before the steaks - wrapped in foil with a coating of olive oil and salt. I did the asparagus on the egg as well with a grill wok (tray with holes). Great times and I look forward to many more posts! Thanks everyone!

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Welcome and a very good first run with the steaks. Gorgeous prime beef.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    That looks fantastic -- especially for your first cook!

Try the potatoes, coated with a little olive oil, S&P directly on the grill - it gives an extra dimension of flavor.

I really prefer the reverse sear, because I think I have better control and it is easier to heat up the egg than cool it down.

Starts the steaks at 250 and let them come up to about 110 internal. They will still look raw, but will be warm, edge to edge, and have a lot of flavor. Now kick up the temp and sear them. You can do it on the grill, in a grill pan or even inside in a skillet, which is handy for making a pan sauce.

You can also look for hot tubbing which is basically a reverse sear with the inital step in warm water, but I like the flavor of doing the first step on the grill.
  • Hot Coals
    Options
    Nice 1st cook, steaks look great :)
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    Wonderful looking Rib-Eyes there!

Great 1st cook...and thanks for sharing!
  • BigGreenGregg
    Options
    Great way to break in the new Egg! Congrats and welcome!!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    That is a great first effort. I think you have it down already. Soon you will have to change your handle!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    In a way it is a shame to see a totally white Egg. It means it is not being used but I guess everyone has to start somewhere. Keep this picture as it is the last time it will be that white. :laugh:
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Congratulations, great first cook.
    Do try the reverse sear that Bob recommended it works really well.
    Mr Egghead and daughter in law want their meat incinerated (no red) and the rest of the family are “bloody” carnivores. I put their steaks on first and when their steaks get to the med rare stage (finger test, no poking with thermometer) I put our steaks on and start ramping the temp. So far every one has been happy with their steaks. I am amazed how moist the well done meat is.
    When it is only the two of us the meat hits the grill when the coals are flaming hot. We have learned the art of compromise…he eats what I cook. (Actually I pull it on the high side of med rare and carry over takes car of the rest).
    So far everything I have cooked on the egg has been good, even my mistakes.
    Your next step is to learn how to cook low and slow on the egg.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • kip stabone
    Options
    Looks good to me. Might want to try a different oil as olive oil burns at a low temp. As far as the hair singes, I've got plenty but make sure to "burp" the egg before opening if you are cooking above 400. Keep up the good work.
  • TnVolKen
    TnVolKen Posts: 198
    Options
    That is one clean looking egg, and some great looking grub.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Nice looking steaks. The look of the egg after its first cook is the best. Nice tan color!
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Good job on the first cook! Ribeye is also my preferred choice.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Congratulations!! It'll only get better from here. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    The meal looks very good..it has been some time since I saw a white interior on my eggs. :laugh: welcome to the forum.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    Wekcome to the cult! :P
  • BigBadger
    Options
    New to the Egg Game wrote:
    .......... 1st off, the fire was a little out of control and I singed a few arm hairs when trying to flip them :).......

Been there, still do that regularly. (see below)Nice looking meal. Thanks for sharing.. but most importantly....

Welcome to the EggHeadForum!!

IMG00314-20110123-1535.jpg
  • An LOL at the arm singe from both me and the wife!!

Thanks to everyone for the welcome wishes! I'm already on Rd 2 with a beer can chicken, and I'll share my pics of the finished product. This is already addicting, and if I can nail pizza & wings on this thing, I might not eat out again!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    BobS wrote:
    I really prefer the reverse sear, ... Starts the steaks at 250 and let them come up to about 110 internal.... Now kick up the temp and sear them.

I've loved the results with the T-rex method, but I might try the reverse sear some time. You didn't say whether you take the steaks out of the Egg to "kick up the temp." They cook so quickly I'm guessing that's what you mean, but I wanted to ask. Specifically, do you take them out at 110, then put them back in when the Egg is up to 600 or so?

And how long does it usually take for the Egg to rise from 250 to your searing temp?

Thanks!
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Been doin' it for 2 years, and it happened to me just 2 weeks ago. Didn't even know it had happened until after dinner....couldn't figure out what that smell was. LOL!
  • Helluva Engineer
    Options
    Looks delicious. Welcome.