Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bobby flay meets dizzy pig. . ..great dinner

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
the wife was watching bobby flay yesterday morning, and he was making some sweet potato gratin... she says "it looked good,make it tonight". . ..so i pull out the bobby flay mesa grill cookbook my SIL gave me for christmas (i'm not a big flay fan and really hadn't read much of this one- his recipes tend to be too require too many obscure ingredients for me) and the recipe was in there and was pretty simple... .so i said sure, what the hell....and while i was at it, i looked for a good main course recipe to go with it. ... so, along with the sweet potato gratin, i made grilled sirlion steaks with a honey/chipotle glaze and roasted pepper relish. ..whole thing came was very easy and really really delicious!!

and i tweaked it a little with a dizzy spin to it!!

first, for the pepper relish, i roasted some red and poblano peppers right on the hot coals in the egg till charred (then straight into a ziplock baggie)

winterfood2011009.jpg

for the relish, i then simply peeled the peppers, chopped up and added chopped up cilantro and put into the fridge till the rest was ready

next, i prepped the ingredients for the sweet potato gratin. .. .4 sweet potatos, thin sliced on the mandolin. ...pureed some chipotle peppers (some for this and some for the honey glaze for the steaks) and two cups of heavy cream....and for the dizzy twist, instead of salt and pepper, i used some dizzy raging river rub. . ..mix one tablespoon of the puree with the 2 cups of the cream. ...

winterfood2011011.jpg

in a casserole dish, layer the sweet potato slices with the cream and season every other layer with a little of the raging river. . .you should have about 9 or 10 layers when done. ...

winterfood2011012.jpg

cover with foil and put in 375 degree egg (or oven) for 30 minutes. ..then uncover and let go another 30 - 40 minutes until liquid is well absorbed... .waalaaaa done.. ..

winterfood2011014.jpg

for the steaks, i took a couple of nice NY stips and instead of simple salt and pepper per flay, i hit em with a little dizzy red eye express (bobby flay recommends a coffee rub for a lot of his southwestern steaks so i figured red eye was a good alternative!!). ..
winterfood2011013.jpg

and then just straight onto the grill at 550 for about 5 minutes per side for medium rare. ..with about 1 minute to go, a good heavy brushing of the glaze, 1/2 cup of honey, 1 tablespoon of the chiptle puree and 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard....the sweet of the honey and the heat of the chipotle and dijon really worked well with the meat!!
winterfood2011015.jpg

and after you pull the steaks, one more brushing of the glaze. ..

winterfood2011016.jpg

and on the plate. .. .with the roasted pepper relish on top....the gratin had great flavor with the sweetness of the taters and aftertaste of the chipotle in the cream. ...it was really good and we all agreed i'll be making this one again!! and the glaze and relish on the steaks was excellent. ..

winterfood2011018.jpg

Comments