Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Egg Has Landed - Advice Needed

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My egg is being delivered this morning - It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. I'm excited (or eggcited now?)[p]Have the following questions about getting started:[p]1. Saw a site referred to here that said something about "seasoning" a grill by a two hour burn with nothing cooking. Recommend it?[p]2. For first fire (assuming a short grilling of chicken or seasoning the egg), how full do I need to make the fire box?[p]3. Building a table is next task. Plans on BGE sight look good as start (and thanks to MikeO), but want to know before I mount bottom shelf whether or not to put in concrete stone as mentioned. Opinions Please from those who have built wooden shrines.[p]Thanks to you all.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Q%20setup.jpg
    <p />David Daniel,
    1. I just cranked mine up and cooked on it. I did not "season"it.
    2. Fill it to the top of the fire box. (That is where the fire ring sits).
    3. I would reccommend that you place a concrete stepping stone on the lower self to rest the EGG on.[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    David Daniel,[p]Seasoning - not needed. It is a good idea to do a simple meal to learn the fire starting, controling and cooking procedures. My site - linked below - has a new users section that might give you some ideas. Take a look around.[p]As we have said many times here - the manual/cookbook needs to be ignored when it comes to the recipes. Those have been improved upon many times over and BGE has not yet updated the printed ones they have. Ask the forum for times and temps - don't trust that book. [p]Welcome aboard - yell if you need help.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]-- Tim's Cookbook etc --[/ul]
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    David Daniel,
    I didn't season mine either - just fireed it up and put firebricks on and a pizza stone and baked the best frozen pizza I'd eaten in my life.[p]I made a table too with assistance from JJ and especially Char-Woody. Mine is cedar lumber with a tile top. I like the stepping stone (18" red round)- very stable and goes well with the egg. I also borrowed an idea from the late Bill Miller that's wonderful - leaving a board missing on the shelf right in front of the ash slot - very handy for cleaning the ash out.[p]Tim's right - the cookbook is terrible. Don't use it.
    Welcome aboard. you're in for good eats now.[p]Mary

• Unknown
    Options
    David Daniel, Yes, the stepping stone is a necessity under the BGE. Throw those little feet away the same time you're pitching the manual. Just make sure you allow for the thickness of your stone in the distance between the top and bottom shelf. Another bit of advice...use at least 5/16 or 3/8 lag screws or even bolts in your framework. Humpy, at least the large, weighs in at 140#, and you don't want the throne to collapse! Humpy is tough, buts falls are to be avoided!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    David Daniel, some company's recommend a 24 hour low temp seasoning but the BGE is fully operational from startup. My first fireup of my BGE was a full wrap of the temperature guage all the way around to 100 degrees again..I wasn't prepared for that rapid accelleration and was in the house getting stuff ready. So watch it a bit. I really don't recommend that for a while. You will also need to brush up on Anti Flashback or Flareouts or Flareups from high heat cooks. You should be aware that it happens and take the right precautions..Ask more and ye shall recieve..
    Welcome aboard, and free plans for table are available.
    I used SS bolts in my frame assembly.
    Good luck..C~W[p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    David Daniel,
    Seasoning a grill is normally meant for cast-iron grates. The BGE is porcelain coated so no problem.[p]How full is the fire box depends on how long and what you're cooking. I find that with the firebox half full of lump you've gor more than enough for 3 to 4 hours at 300F to 350F, longer if you're cooking lower.[p]By all means put a concrete thingy under the Egg. Then there's no chance of anything getting singed.
    JimW