Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First BGE brisket....all niter....

Options
transversalInactive
transversalInactive Posts: 376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Only had my BGE large now for about a month and a half, but have done several cooks on it, always satisfied with ability to control temp. Last night, it ran me ragged. It stabilized at 250* for the first 4 1/2 hours nicely, then it ran the gamut for the rest of the time either threatening going out or zooming into high temps far beyond the desired 250*. Using the ET 732, I spent most of the night following the temp roller coaster....making the most minute of adjustments in the bottom vent as I have learned to do in previous cooks. The 9 pounder hit the 200* internal mark this morning at about 8:30, 11 hours after it went on last evening. It is now foiled, and on hold (170*) in the oven for early this evening. Test probes felt like it was tender, but not pull apart tender.......

It was a learning experience for me......altho not certain why I got the temp swings I did for the first ime since getting my egg. One way or another, I still had a kick with it. Will report on results tonight.

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Question for you...when you put the brisket on at first did the temp drop, and then did you adjust for the temp drop? If you did that is where your problem started.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    on the roller coaster ride, did you peak at the brisket when you were adjusting temps, that's a no-no!

was the et-732 over the indirect piece, should be.

sometimes we fiddle more than needed, almost chasing our own shadow up and down.

egg will go throw minor temp swings when under manual control, hard to stop it from happening during a cook. what is your swing range on temp before adjusting.

most of my brisket and butt cooks run 11-13 hours at 235-250 target temp dome. My temp swing margin is 220 to 275 before adjusting.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    My alarm range is set at 225 and 275. I may well have adjusted the temp when I put the brisket in.....could be the problem....the ET 732 sensor was not above the briset....had a pan sitting on the grill using a large BGE rack to hold the brisket. So, the 732 sensor was clipped to the grill the pan was sitting on.....on plane with the pan bottom, but below the piece of meat. How could I have placed the 732 sensor above the meat? I was gettin swings in the 732 that looked totally unlike what was appearing on the BGE thermometer. The BGE thermometer didn't swint more than 15-20 degrees above or below the target. But, the 732 alarm went off both hi and lo all nite long. Confused. But, I'll find out what I'm doing wrong. This is the first time I have encountered this problem. Also the first time I've used the 732. Thanks for your comments.