Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland ROUND Gasket - ooops or not

Smoking Coles
Smoking Coles Posts: 230
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First of all, I don't want to make this a debate about is the Rutland safe or not. I just have a simple question. I just installed a Rutland on my large (from memory which apparently isn't very good) and went to read the installation guide on Whiz's site just to see if I missed anything. Well, I missed the biggest piece of the puzzel. I bought and installed the ROPE type gasket instead of the flat type. I have already used Permetex Ultra to adhere the gasket and don't feel like having to take this off and do it again. Has anyone else installed the Rutland Round and if so, did it work correctly or have I wasted my time and money? Thanks for any feedback

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    sorry, but I strongly recommend removing that round rope gasket. Even though you may think it compresses it is actually wearing the glued side against the "free" side and will deteriorate.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Seems like there are two types of Rutland rope, hollow and solid. The solid is round, actually looks like rope and doesn't compress much. The hollow rope is quite "tape-like". I used it on my mini because it was all I could find that was narrow enough.

Mine has been on since last fall and it looks pretty much like the 5/8" tape I have on my large. I love it!! Here's what it looked like right after installation...

4954399682_3dc99541d1_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thanks RRP. Since it's installed, I will probably see how it works and report back to you guys. It is the hollow rope style that Carolina Q is talking about I believe. We'll see what happens I guess. If I need to replace, I'll read your instructions first lol. Thanks again.
  • Carolina Q
    Well, mine has lasted six months with absolutely no sign of deterioration. That's about 5 months and 3 weeks longer than the original felt gasket lasted. hahaha

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thanks Michael, I think I'll just give it a whirl as installed. Maybe I'll have the same good luck as you with the rope. Thanks again for the input.
  • I can't even get the flat stuff around, but every hardware store has the rope!
    I've held off on replacement because of that.
    What's the debate on "safe or not"....Guess I missed that one.
  • Email RRP. He'll hook you up with the flat gasket. Easy Breasy!
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    I wonder if you could tease the rope out of the center of the gasket - like pulling the tie out of sweat pants?
  • RRP
    and the reason you would want to do that is...?
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    RRP wrote:
    and the reason you would want to do that is...?

To end up with a flat gasket. The round gasket is just a flat gasket with a rope running through the center.
  • RRP
    why not just start with the flat braided gasket in the first place?

The point I am trying to make is that a rope gasket is like the letter "o". Now flatten that "o" and the bottom of it gets embedded in the adhesive, but the top half does not and therefore can flex and rub against the secured bottom part of itself and deteriorate. When it deteriorates the fibers can break and become airborne. Soooo why not just start with the flat braid in the first place? It's really not that hard to find!
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Are those the same airborne fibers that will cause cancer? :huh:
  • Carolina Q
    Ron, I guess there may have been some flexing in the beginning (Sep 09), though it just seemed like a nice cushion to me. I gave it no thought. Just now, I checked on the little bugger and there is absolutely NO flex at all. Zero. It actually seems harder and more solid than the tape on my large. Still seals and cushions, but it does not flex.

The reason I didn't use the 5/8 tape in the first place was because I didn't want it hanging over the edge. When I tried to stretch it to match the mini's wall thickness, I had to stretch so tightly, I saw no way the Permatex would hold it in place. As far as I know, Rutland doesn't make a tape narrow enough for the mini.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut