Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Pork Butt more questions

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to the help of this forum I have now purchased a pork butt - 9lbs (8.97 to be exact). I had to ask the butcher and even then he had to label it "pork shoulder" as he didn't have a tag for pork butt. He assured me it was a butt and that is consistent with the pictures on here. (Pulled pork is not very common here in Texas.)

So, I now have some more questions (feel free to answer just one or two):

1. Should I use my Large or Medium? The Med would conserve more lump but will it go the full distance for a 9 lb butt? I don't have a V rack that will fit on the Medium. Is there a reason it can't sit on the grill over a drip pan? As big as the butt is will it catch a little direct heat around the edges on the Medium? Visually it looks like it will be just barely within the plate setter protection.

2. How do you guys eat your pulled pork? The Naked Whiz says to use cheap simple white bread hamburger buns. That seems to be consistent with the pictures I see posted. My family is used to whole wheat so I may do that instead. Any other ideas?

3. What do you put on the sandwich besides the pork and sauce? Pickles? onions? lettuce, tomato? The pictures usually just seem to be bread and pork and sauce. Obviously, I will experiment around for my family's taste. I am just curious how the rest of the world eats them.

4. Do folks prefer a honey bbq sauce or traditional for pulled pork?

5. Most recipes say to trim excess fat. This butt doesn't appear to have much fat other than the fat layer on the one side. Am I to try and trim that off?

I am sure I will have more questions once I start cooking, although the recipes do a good job detailing with that stage.

Thanks for the help.

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Use the large you'll burn the same amount of lump. I never use the V rack just on the grid over a drip pan. I just eat it on a plate and save the rolls for leftovers sometimes sauce and sometimes plain. I cook fat down and never trim. With a 9 pounder you'll have enough to try a lot of options just don't sauce the whole thing when you pull it.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    #3 - Coleslaw is great on pulled pork

5# - Some butchers leave the big fat cap on them. The ones I buy don't come with the big fat caps and I only have to worry about the smaller fat portions. Don't wan't to trim off all the fat since that helps flavor it.

#6 - Eat them however you like! Add whatever you think might sound good. I eat mine with coleslaw, bbq sauce, and onions. You can even use pulled pork as a condiment on a burger if you like. Whatever sounds good go for it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bbqblues
    Options
    I would use the large on the grid over a drip pan.
    I use a deep dish pizza pan as a drip pan and fill
    it with apple juice for a long , slow cook.
    Check out the website "playing with fire and smoke"
    and be sure to read the part on smoking woods.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    1. either will do the job

2. use whatever buns you like. I even like to use plain white bread

3. pickles

4. whatever sauce you prefer. i like vinegar sauce, sweet sauce, hot sauce, or mustard sauce. it's all a "what mood am i in" sort of thing.

5. leave it intact and separate the fat from the lean as best you can as you pull the meat when it's done cooking.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    R>E>L>A>X>!Cook it on either one.A butt is one of the most forgiving cooks you can do.Even a screw up turns out tastee.Wheat buns are fine,whatever bread you like.Sauce is a personal thing, so I serve 3-4 different ones on the side.ALWAYS on the side.Make SURE you pull the pork,it will stay moist longer than chopping it.Coleslaw is a MUST and whatever other condiments and sides ya'll like.Good Luck! :) This is a screw up proof cook. :)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

These two links are how I did mine and they are my best ever. I have been enjoying these the past couple days and really love them.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1043899&catid=1

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1044898&catid=1

Do not trim the fat, wait till it is cooked. Otherwise you may be removing flavor, trim to your hearts content after the cook but remember fat is part of the flavor. :)

Blair

• Little Steven
    Options
    WeberWho?
    I agree about the coleslaw but I love the hot cider and white vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, celery seed, salt and pepper and oil poured over the slaw the day before.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    When you are done with all the great ideas you have received,use the leftovers in some eggrolls.Mix your slaw and some bbq sauce,wrap in the wrapper and fry--A great app.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!

Freddie
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Freddie, as far as I'm concerned, there is only ONE way to eat pulled pork. Eastern NC style. Chopped, not just pulled. Plain old hamburger buns (the cheap, white bread kind), Vinegar sauce (vinegar and spices - no tomato sauce, ketchup, etc.) and cole slaw (KFC style). Period. Anything else just ain't right! :)

But then, that's just what I grew up with. For me, THAT IS barbecue.

Sauce:

1 ½ cups white vinegar
    1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
    1 ½ tbls sugar
    1 ½ tbls red pepper flakes
    1 ½ tbls bottled hot pepper sauce
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
    Salt and pepper to taste

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cactus Doug
    Options
    1. I use a large because thats all I have.
    2. I use hamburger buns white or wheat or whatever is on sale.
    3. Pickles sometimes, but we usually put coleslaw on the sandwich or eat it plain.
    4. I usually like something with a little vinegar twang to it and also prefer a thinner sauce for pulled pork
    5. I don't trim the cap, just put it fat side down on the grid or rack.
    I try to keep my large at 250 dome when cookin butts otherwise the cooks sometimes drag on and on. Good Luck.
  • skihorn
    Options
    Michael: Thanks for helping educate a Texan on pulled pork!

Freddie
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    You better watch CQ ,He's SHADY! :laugh: ;)
  • So Cal EGGhead
    Options
    Interesting Doug. How do you guys feel about trimming the fat prior to cooking and placing it ever so gently back on top. Then cooking with the cap on the top side? Just curious.

I tried it this way last week because I did 16 butts and did not wnat to much work the day of the event. I turned out great.

I also use a vinegar based sauce with a kick. Cayenne is my secret, with a bit of fresh garlic.
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    You probably have all the answers you need by now but, as usual, the medium doesn't get much love around here. I have the medium and the large and, even though I burned thru the gasket long ago, the medium will have no trouble going the distance with a 9 lb. butt. No need for the v-rack, just straight on the grid over the p/s with a drip pan (if you want). I only use the large on a butt cook if I am doing several and need the a/r.

If I could only have one egg, I'd take the large over the medium. That said, I grew up on a medium, do most of my cooking on a medium, and it will always have a special place in my heart. (sigh)
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    Never have trimmed the fat and put it back on. My reasoning on fat cap down is that you are going to loose the bark touching the grate so... No rub on the fat and put it fat side down.