Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Temp Horrors II

Options
BillyV
BillyV Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just back from the holiday. I dimantled and hauled my large Egg up to the in-laws (200mi.). Did 20lbs of pulled pork...turned out great. Decided to burn off the remaining lump but got distracted. When I took notice, the temp was at 1100 degs for who knows how long. Well, the next morning the lid was stuck shut. I used a rigid putty knife and hammer to get it open. It opened but also chipped the bottom portion of the Egg. It's in the shape of a V (about 1" at the top) running down from the gasket to the guide hole for the lid ring. The chip is about a 1/4" deep. Does anybody have advise for patching?[p]Many thanks,
Bill

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    BillyV,[p]In about 20 months I have not had but one stick. I used a very thin carving knife. I take great precautions to avoid drips, meat, grease, fat etc from getting on my seals to help avoid such problems. Good luck with it. Try JB weld on the chipped piece. [p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    BillyV, so much for hammers and putty knives. I would much rather use a sharp thin knife and work my way around till it was loose. 3 years here and never stuck one yet. But I anticipate the odds are stacked.
    This is one of several reasons that I think one seal of the Grapho-Glas seal is all that is necessary on either the top or the bottom casting. Its thick enuff to allow cables to dent and seal in the material.
    I think Tim M has the best repair remedy..Cheers..C~W[p]