Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not great, but it\'ll have to do...

Options
ShedFarm
ShedFarm Posts: 499
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I FINALLY got my small and mini eggs in from the dealer on Saturday, which means I now get to start building tables for everyone. I started with the mini.

Keep in mind, I am in NO way any sort of carpenter or woodworker, so please be gentle with me...

First, the mini table, rough sanded:
mini_table_top.jpg

Now, the mini in its table, complete with paver and feet:
mini_intable.jpg

Side view, showing the large and small, awaiting their turns:
mini_intable_wlgsm.jpg

I was surprised that my mini came with the old-style hinge, and have already contacted BGE about getting the updated band/hinge combo.

I hope to get the small table roughed out next weekend.
BJ (Powhatan, VA)

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Nice table, if you didn't mention your woodworking skills I would have though you were a pro!

Looking forward to small table.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • MusicMan78
    Options
    please let me know the result of your inquiry about the new hinge, my new one has the old style as well. Thanks!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    No one can tell that you are not a carpenter/woodworker by the looks of that work.NICELY done! :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Great job on the Mini table. Keep up the great work. ;) Tim
  • Warriorfive
    Options
    Do you have any kind of plans for the mini table? The table looks great. I am sure most people could build the table from just the picture. When it comes to wood working I can't build a box without plans. For someone who claims to be short on skills your table looks like a pro built it.
  • ShedFarm
    Options
    No plans. I started with a few 8 foot 1x4's, a tape measure, my miter saw, a few boxes of exterior deck screws, and my battery powered drill. I measured the mini and the patio block, stared at the pile for a while, then kind of calculated the dimensions from the egg and block, outward.

I broke out the jig saw to cut out the top, and cut the semi-circles in the sides, when I noticed that there wasn't much clearance for accessing the lower draft door.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Very nice!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I got my mini in July with the older style hinge. It kept tipping over when I opened it, or the lid wouldn't stay open. I called the Mother Ship who sent me a new setup at no charge other than shipping, and my dealer assembled it for me. Very nice.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    BJ please build me a house.
    Very nice job on the mini stand.
    The only thing is if you had built it so it would flip over and hold the mini for transportation.
    Have you thought that for the small.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ShedFarm
    Options
    The small is too heavy for me to transport, which is why I got the mini. I'll probably build a different stand with folding shelves for taking my mini on field trips.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • ShedFarm
    Options
    At this point, they're only willing to sell me the updated hinge. I may just bite the bullet and buy it, so I don't have to worry about dealing with the old style hinge.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • BigDaddy65
    Options
    If building a table and waiting for the new mini hinge you may want to wait since the new style hinge requires more topside clearance than the old style.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Barbara, can I hire you to build a table for my Large? And thanks for the dough balls again. Very kind of you. Nice to know a local Egger.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • ShedFarm
    Options
    Glad to pass on some dough balls. You'll definitely have to let me know how they turn out.

Let's see how the table building goes for my small BGE, before I venture forth into "bigger" territory. ;)

I wish I could be building them out of something other than pressure-treated lumber. I priced a source for cypress, and they wanted more for the lumber, than the cost of all three eggs, combined! I can get 1x cedar lumber at the box stores, but no one carries 2x's anymore. White oak is in the same category as cypress.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • BigDaddy65
    Options
    I found 2x cedar at a local lumber yard.