Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mac and cheese.

hawkegg
hawkegg Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just saw a photo of someones mac and cheese and it looked really good. Does anyone have a good baked mac and cheese recipe that they are willing to share?

Comments

• I saw that picture yesterday. I'd like to have that recipe also.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This is different:

Pasta, Mac & Cheese, Lobster, Reelgem

I love mac 'n cheese and wanted to try something different and I found a few different ones for lobster mac 'n cheese. None of them seemed quite right so I took different ideas from all of them and came up with this.

INGREDIENTS:
    Pasta
    1/2 cup butter + more for ramekin
    1/2 cup flour
    2 cups half and half
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    pinch ground black pepper
    3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    2 cups gruyere cheese, shredded
    1 lb dried elbow pasta
    Lobster
    1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
    1 lb uncooked lobster meat, chopped (see notes)
    3 Tbs grated parmesan

PROCEDURE:
    1 Started with 4 Florida lobsters.
    2 Cut the meet into bite size pieces and sauteed in butter.
    3 Cooked some elbow macaroni al dente. Made a bechamel cheese sauce with half and half and gruyere. Ended up adding Monterey Jack & cheddar. Equal parts of each.
    4 Baked at 350 degrees for 20 mins. Then added some buttered Panko crumbs mixed with a little parmesan cheese. Put that on top of the mac 'n cheese and cooked another 10 mins. until browned and crispy on top.
    5 It was delcious!! Served with some homemade biscuits. Everyone loved it, I'll definitely make this one again.
    Real cooking method:
    1 Preheat oven to 350F.
    2 Boil pasta in a large pot of salted water until 1 minute shy of done. Drain well.
    3 In meantime, with medium saucepan on medium-low heat, melt butter and add flour a little at a time, whisking constantly for 3 minutes to make a roux. Add half and half, a little at time, whisking to combine. Cook 3 minutes until sauce has thickened. Turn off heat. Add cheddar and gruyere, salt, nutmeg, cayenne and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add cooked pasta to pan, stir to combine.
    4 Butter 8 small ramekins or a large baking dish. Spoon pasta/cheese mixture into dish, up to 2/3 full. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
    5 While pasta is baking, melt 2 tbs butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once butter melts, turn off heat and add lobster meat, parmesan and panko bread crumbs. Toss to combine.
    6 When pasta is done baking, remove from oven. Top pasta with a spoonful of lobster mixture. Set your oven rack to top 1/3 of oven, turn to broil and return ramekins to oven for 6-8 minutes. Lobster should be cooked through and a nice cheeesy crunchy crust will form

Yield: Serves: 4 (main dish) or 8 (side dish)

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Main Dish, Pasta, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Reelgem, 2009/04/06
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Maybe Hayhonker will see this. His was off-the-charts killer. Jason....you be out dere?
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • hawkegg

Not a complete recipe but it's just a basic white sauce with cheddar in it.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=947644&catid=1

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lol, I thought the same thing and just got back from the store to make my own! The best I can do for the recipe is to say it's on page 165 of the new BGE cookbook I got for Christmas.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I understand this is really good. I went there last week but did not have teh mac n cheese:

Community Q’s Three Cheese Mac and Cheese
    Hands on: 15 minutes Total time: 1 hour
    Serves: 4
    Chef-owner David Roberts, formerly of Sam & Dave’s in Marietta, is as famous for his macaroni and cheese as he is for his beef brisket. His new ’cue joint, Community Q in Decatur, offers his three-cheese rendition.

Salt
    1 (16-ounce) box rigatoni noodles
    8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
    8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
    4 ounces grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
    2 cups heavy cream
    Freshly ground pepper (if desired), to taste
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat and season with salt. Add pasta and cook until just tender, about 12 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain well in a colander without rinsing.
    Transfer the pasta to a large bowl. Add half the cheddar, Monterey Jack and Parmesan, reserving the rest for the top. Add heavy cream and stir to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper. Transfer the noodle mixture to a medium buttered gratin dish or casserole. Sprinkle remaining cheddar, Monterey Jack and Parmesan cheeses on top. Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 30 to 45 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool slightly before serving.

Per serving: 1,400 calories (percent of calories from fat, 58), 57 grams protein, 90 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams fiber, 90 grams fat (56 grams saturated), 295 milligrams cholesterol, 1,236 milligrams sodium.
  • My mac and cheese:
    Make a bachemel sauce with 1 stick butter and 1/2 cup flour and milk. Start with butter and flour and cook to a blonde roux (cajun for paste). Add milk a little at a time over med low heat stirring constantly and the sauce will continually thicken. Season with salt, cayenne, and little ground nutmeg. While doing the sauce bring pasta water to a boil. I use Penne instead of macaroni. Back to the sauce: you want the sauce to be the thickness of syrup. Now grate three cups sharp cheddar and one cup smoked gouda. When your sauce is consistent with the thickness you want stir in the cheddar a little at a time off the heat. Drain you pasta and put into a 3-4 quart cassarole dish. Pour cheese sauce over pasta and stir to combine. Sprinkle the smoked gouda over the top and finish with Panko bread crumbs. Bake at 375 till browned and bubbly.

Enjoy ;)
  • This sounds really good until the the last line :( . oh well in moderation!!!
  • Hopefully hayhonker will see this and still post his recipe.