Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - my job as a dad is done!!

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i'm so proud right i'm busting at the seams!! Last night the spawn posted something about taking a road trip to jersey to go eat at a sonic.. . .

now, first you have to understand, she goes to college at Hofstra University on Long Island new york about 10 miles east of JFK airport.. . .to get to jersey, you have to drive about 30 miles, either around the belt parkway in brooklyn, then across the verazzano bridge, staten island, then another bridge, to get to jersey. .. or straight across Queens, through a tunnel into manhatten, across manhatten and then through another tunnel to get to jersey...either way, no easy trip!!!!

here is verbatim, the text exchange I just had with her:

DAD: "so, who drove to jersey?"

SPAWN "I did!!"

DAD: "So you spent 20 bucks in tolls, another 20 on gas, just to eat a 3 buck burger ...NICE!"

SPAWN "I didn't get any gas, still had plenty from christmas break! And Sarah [her roomate that was also in on this caper] helped pay for tolls! But yeah, thought you'd be proud of that! And I drove through the city!"

DAD "WHOA! And through the tunnels" [queens midtown tunnel is the one made famous in 'men in black' to get from Queens into manhatten, and then the Lincoln tunnel from manhatten into jersey]

SPAWN "yep"

DAD "Wow! What made you guys decide that you needed a sonic burger that bad?"

SPAWN "We kept seeing commercials for their red velvet cheesecake blast and we HAD to have one!!"

DAD "so, was it worth the trip?"

SPAWN "HELL YEAH!"

DAD "well, just don't do it every night"

SPAWN "Oh no way, I didn't even finish it, its still in my freezer"

DAD "It made it all the way back from Jersey?? How was the burger?"

SPAWN "We had a cooler. I had a chicken sandwich at it was awesome!"

so first my kid and her roomie decide its worth while to drive well over an hour, across the entirety of NYC (which if you've ever made this drive, is akin to some of the toughest driving on the planet), for a glorified milk shake/blizzard thing...and they are smart enough to take a cooler for leftovers!!!

is my kid awesome or what!!!...this is why she is a great egghead too!!! like father like daughter (you know, i'm not sure i've ever taken that big of a road trip just for an ice cream like that!!!

i swear, i have a tear in my eye as i type this!!

Comments