Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

drip pan

pokey
pokey Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have been using a 9*13 aluminum pan as drip pan, have seen numerous drip pans that look lik a flattened out wok made of thin metal. Are these homemade? Looked at Bass Pro today for ideas and didn't see anything close. Any suggestions on where to find one or making one for ourselves.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i just use foil and toss it out
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    disposable foil pans for heavy dripping or like stike said just freeform one out of hd foil or even a pie pan.
  • pokey
    pokey Posts: 59
    do you just put it on the coals?
  • pokey,

The best one I have for catching and saving drippings is a cheap non stick rondeax. I took the plastic handles off it and it works great and cleans up easily.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I bought a deep dish pizza pan from a restaurant supply store for 9 bucks. It fits the plate setter perfectly and does the job.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Pokey, no. There's not much that would stand up against that heat. Drip pans are normally placed on the platesetter during an indirect cook. I use disposable aluminum pans that work pretty well, but they would disintegrate if I placed them on the coals.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I have a nice SS round one got at ceramic grill store and a SS rectangle one off Amazon... I always line it with HD Alum foil so I don't have to wash and don't make a mess when taking it out of the egg.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Carolina Q wrote:
    Pokey, no. There's not much that would stand up against that heat. Drip pans are normally placed on the platesetter during an indirect cook. I use disposable aluminum pans that work pretty well, but they would disintegrate if I placed them on the coals.

This.

I get mine at places like BJs or even Walmart if need be. I just buy a package with many of them and keep it with my BBQ stuff.
  •  
    The options are wide open on this one.

Walmart/Sams has 30 deep foil pans for $6 to 10 bucks, use and toss. I would think there would be some shallower pans.

2Fategghead uses an old oven broiler pan bottom which has been dremel'd out - that works great.

I have been using a heavy duty deep dish pizza pan for a drip pan, indirect barier, dutch oven holder on my spider. If I am expecting drippings of any kind I cover it in HD aluminum foil.

This ceramic DO is too small to sit on top of the inverted spider so I have to use the trusty 'drip pan (SS deep dish pizza pan) to deep the DO from falling through the opening. You can get a pretty good idea of the pan though.
    chili1.jpg

Here are two uses Turkey and Ham. Again the inverted spider, pizza pan ((my indirect barrier), then a toss away pan for the ham and a turkey pan with the BGE V-Rack for the turkey.
    09turkey1.jpg

ham4.jpg

Inverted spider, SS Pizza pan - foileld, and some pork for Char Sui
    charsui1.jpg

charsui4.jpg

charsui5.jpg

Spider, pizza pan - foiled for drippings as well as a barrier for indirect cooking of these beef ribs.
    beefrib3done.jpg

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Check with any kitchen supply company, they should have a number of sizes and shapes and also in alum or stainless.

I like deep dish pizza pans and for other things I use the same 1/4 sheet pans you are talking about.

DSC09704a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery