Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kidney Stone

Options
smbishop
smbishop Posts: 3,053
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I get my (first) Egg for Christmas and my first kidney stone on February 9. My wife is convinced there is a correlation....
Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Sorry for your pain. This is as close as I want to be to a stone.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1035241&catid=1

Beef, Steak & Kidney Pie, Richard Fl.

The basis for this recipe that was originally just steak and mushrooms, was borrowed from a member of the BBQ-Bretheran Forum, Lunchman, and modified. Here is his comment. "This is a dish that my favorite restaurant, O'Connor's Restaurant & Bar in Worcester, MA serves and I usually wind up ordering when we eat there. Mind you, I'm Italian and my favorite place is an Irish restaurant - go figure."

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 Lbs Bottom round roast or any stew meat, cut in cubes about an inch to an inch and a half thick (top round used today)
    1 Lb Lamb Kidneys, Cleaned, Cut into 1 inch pieces.
    1 Cup Milk, to soak kidneys
    1 Large Onion, finely sliced
    3 Cloves Garlic, finely sliced
    3-4 Large Stop Light peppers, Diced. These are like a sweet jalapeño
    1-2 cups Carrots, cut about an inch in length, uniform size
    1-2 cups Celery, cut the same
    6-8 oz Button Mushrooms (Baby Bella used in today's cook)
    14.9 oz Guinness, or Beef Broth
    1 Cup Cabernet Sauvignon
    4 Parts Flour
    1 Part Panko
    Salt & Pepper
    Thyme (2-3 tsp or fresh sprigs if available)
    2 Tbs Rosemary,3-4 Fresh Sprigs if available
    2 Tbs Parsley
    1 Tbs Holy Smokin' Chipotle
    1 Tbs Cajun Seasoning
    1 Tbs Indian River Rainbow Pepper
    1-2 Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
    1 Pkg 8 BIG Flaky Biscuits
    EVOO for braising beef and sauteing vegetables

PROCEDURE:
    1 In a CI Dutch Oven, I used a 9 Qt, heated on grate of LBGE around 300°-350°F. add a few tablespoons of EVOO. Add the onions, celery, peppers & carrots and sauté until tender and translucent, around 5 minutes.
    2 Remove the vegetables from the Dutch Oven and set aside in a bowl.
    3 In the meantime, season some flour and Panko for dredging with salt and pepper. The panko adds some texture to the meat, but really gives the de glazing of the pan a great texture.
    4 Add the meat to the Dutch Oven, browning it on all sides. You may need to do this in batches. Add EVOO as needed. When each batch of meat is browned remove with a slotted spoon and set aside with the veggies...
    5 After the beef is browned, drain the kidneys, which have been in milk for 1/2 hour or so, save milk. Add the kidneys to the pan and cook until they turn white/grey. Remove to bowl.
    6 I cooked everything on the stove and then when the entire pot was boiling took to BGE @350°F. direct on grate.
    7 ******************************
    8 ******************************
    9 *******************************
    10 When all the meat is browned add 1 cup wine and de glaze the pan then add Guinness and milk. Bring to a boil and now add back the veggies, except mushrooms, and meat. Add seasonings at this time get pot boiling and then drop temp of BGE to 200°-225°F, cover and let cook about 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes or so. After the first hour add the mushrooms and cook another 30 minutes. DON'T FORGET TO ADD THE MUSHROOMS AS I ALMOST DID. If it is getting a little dry add some beef broth or water.
    11 At this point I had to make a decision, remove to a large fireproof deep pie dish. and cover with pie crust and bake or either in the DO add some biscuits and set BGE up indirect legs down on plate setter and bring BGE up to 350°F or as I did this time, placed the pot of meat, texture at this time is kinda like a stew, in a 2 inch deep oval oven proof dish and added the biscuits. By now the BGE was up to 350°F and I used spacers between the plate setter and the oval dish. Cooked about 15 minutes for the biscuits to brown. Careful of temp, I started at 400°F and after 5 minutes the tops were starting to burn so dropped to 350°F.
    12 This was a great meal and will do the same way next time. The biscuits add a nice change from pie crust.`

Servings: 6
    Yield: 4-6 Servings

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum Richard Fl, 2011/01/29
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    BUMMER! Hope all goes well.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Yeah it's the ceramics that add more minerals in your diet. :evil:

I've got a jar full of them and that's not a lie. ;)
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    When i got mine the doctor said it was from too much cheese and not enough water. I doubt that they form in two months.Good Luck !!
    More meat please !! :-)
  • smbishop
    Options
    My response is more meat on the egg! Maybe drink a bit more water...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Nah. I was born with a kidney stone and got them about once a month for about 30 years. I'm 41 and have had an egg for 23 years.

This too shall pass my friend. :)
  • Smut-butt
    Options
    Been there, done that; it's no fun, but the equipment that breaks the stones up with sound waves is a blessing. Litrotripsy, I believe is the name. It's amazing what this technology has done for kidney stones.
    Drink lots of water in the future. They say that cranberry juice is good too, but that might be a myth.

Enjoy your egg, the egg is innocent of all charges. I was told that I ate too many peanuts--I'm guilty!
    Your stones can be analyzed to see what food caused or could have contributed to the formation of stones.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Wow, Bobby! I had one once and it was excruciating! I can't imagine what you went through all those years! Bless you, son.......glad you got over and through all that.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Kidney stones are no fun at all......much unlike the Big Green Egg! No correlation between the two! :laugh:
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    Well I get them about once or twice a year now but I sincerely appreciate your thoughts.

There is a chance I might be able to make it to your fest and am looking forward to that if it happens.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Do you keep your jar o' stones on the mantle over the fireplace?
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    I'm the walking chronology of kidney stone treatments and explanations. I've heard everything from tea causing them to tea curing them. Cranberry juice was the best until it turned out it contained oxylates that were part of my stones. Milk was always a suspect even when I didn't drink it for 3 years. Finally they found out after a week of inpatient tests in Dallas that discovered my body malabsorbs calcium. So I can have stones or osteoarthritis.

I have gashes on my left side from full opening stone removal. I have a slit on my right side where they used the percutanious punch to break one up. I was the youngest patient ever to have the lithotripsy performed (that's the one where they suspend you in a tub of water and crack a huge spark plug in the water every time your heart beats...they don't do this anymore in the US) and I was one of the first to have the Lithostar (where they lay you on a table and blow two baloons up against your back and blast the stones through that.)

I'm happy that I got to blaze the path for more human kidney stone treatment. lol.

Best advice is prevent from getting them by drinking huge amounts of water (1 gallon a day would be about right in the south). and get rid of them as quick as you can if you do catch one.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Yeah, I'm saving up for a lovely necklace. :woohoo:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Tim I've always found it a good idea to make sure what was in me is not on me :sick:
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I have been cooking on an egg for three years and my wife was diagnosed last week with a stone. I don't think it has anything to do with the egg. ;) She read somewhere to drink 2oz of lemmon juice and olive oil and the stone will pass within 24 hours. Well I laughted and she was left with a bad taste in her mouth and still has the stone.
    GL and hope everything is ok. (you too Bobby)
  • smbishop
    Options
    Water, water, water, that is what I will do. :)
  • smbishop
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. Everything is good now and cooked on the Egg tonight!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    The first time in 1999 it took surgery then after that a little discomfort for a week or so and...If not one then two a year since then no lie. ;)

It helps if you can force fluids. ;) I would get in my hot tub and let the jets pound my kidneys.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I agree. :pinch:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    What usually happens to me is I have a weird feeling for a while and have frequent urination. That's the stone in your kidney partially blocking urn from flowing into your bladder. In time your feelings will subside. That's the stone finally in you bladder. It may be there for a while but, you will get that feeling again and eventually pass the stone.

Lots of times I swear I hurt my back somehow because I would get back pains on one side. But, that's because the stone is in your kidney trying to move. Forcing fluids works like hydraulics. :laugh:
  • smbishop
    Options
    Exactly how it felt to me! I thought I had hurt my back!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Here is a herbal remedy I have tried. It's said to dissolve the stone but, I don't know if it's true cause I always pass them.

http://store.everythingherbs.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EH&Product_Code=4SDR&Category_Code=
  • smbishop
    Options
    Must be the ceramics...can't be all the vodka that goes with these cooks...
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Scott, sorry that you will have to deal with some pain, I spent a week in the Hospital with mine.
    You need to listen to your wife as she is correct you need to get rid of your Egg or it be stone after stone. :( Send me an e-mail with your address and I will come and remove your Egg :laugh:
    Feel better,
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• smbishop
    Options
    I guess I was lucky because it passed rather quickly...I actually called 911, I thought I was having a heart attack or something! How embarrasing!
  • smbishop
    Options
    Too funny! Nope, I am one with the egg, it is my new obsession, I mean eggsession...
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I hurt and didn't know why. Most of the time I would have a very restless night and got no sleep...I would go to the bathroom but, nothing...I would lay on the cool bathroom floor and roll in pain...I finally went to a urologist and he sent me to a radiologist who injected dye in me and took x-rays and found blockage between my kidney and my bladder and they admitted me for emergency surgery. It was removed using a flexible grabber by reaching up my urethra and threw my bladder up to my kidney. Then they pulled it out all with out cutting me open. Since then I pass them without much difficulty. :unsure:
  • smbishop
    Options
    Wow! I can relate to the bathroom floor, did that. When I was admitted to the emergency room, the nurse immediately said Kidney stone, hooked me up to an IV and things only got better after that...
  • Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    Options
    I was having stones about every nine months for 8 years. I had a supply of oxy codone that helped me thru the pain. Finally I was sent to a urologist and he started me on some kind of potassium citrate pills and I have had no problem since. Bless that man.
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    Bless you brother. :-(
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING