Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggbryo (new egger)

Options
Holy Smokes
Holy Smokes Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I just got a new BGE a couple days ago. We made Ribeye steaks that turned out to be better than usual.
I've been smoking meats (brisket is my specialty) on my Charbroil smoker with the firebox on the side. I have had phenomental success using this!
Now that I've got the BGE home I'm concerned with the grid size. It doesn't look large enough to accomodate the 16lb briskets I usually make. Thanks to this forum I have found potential ways of dealing with the limited grid size.

OK... now that I've done ribeyes, I was going to try my hand at spareribs next, perhaps this weekend. I've made them once before with less than stellar results. Can I get some advice?
Previously I made them on a gas grill using wood chips over indirect heat (used a pan of water under the ribs).
I have about a 15lb rack of ribs right now.
Should I brine them? Rub them? Sauce them? Indirect? Direct? Foil? Temp/time?

And final question... What is the next thing I should try? to get the hang of it? What's your favorite thing to make on the BGE that you think a new BGEguy could handle?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    First, welcome and enjoy your Egg.What size egg did you get and what do you and family enjoy? I enjoy spares,but their are others with more experience at them.Their are endless things to cook on the Egg and Grampa grubs helpful tips should be looked at.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Welcome H.S. & Congrats!
    Sounds like you are daring to start out so strong with all your cooks. The Ribeye for the initial cook is what I did and still my favorite. I honestly am not much of a brisket guy, but ribs I love especially B.B.'s. Have you thought of a low and slow cook such as a pork butt for some awesome pulled pork? Just clean the BGE and pack with lump and slowly raise the BGE temp to 225* and let it sit for a half hour there and stabilize and your set. Put your butt on indirect with some sort of temp probe and sit back till it hits 200*. Depending on the weight size it usually is around 12 hours. There will be a time where it stalls but no worry it will start creeping back up. Makes for tons of nice sammy's and just plain good pulled pork so tender. Hope to see some photos from your cooks.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Holy Smokes
    Options
    Great idea on the pork butt! I love just about anything when it's cooked low and slow, the smokey flavor is unbeatable!

Also... I found grandpa grubs thread you were talking about! WOW LOTS of great info there! Thank you soo much!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1033168&catid=1
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I did Ribeyes first @ 650. Chicken thighs and sausage smoked @ 250,second. Im going to grill porkchops tonight @ 400. So far so good. I have alrady forgotten that i ever owned a gas grill !! Good luck.
    ps. I have only had this thing for seven days.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Welcome to our little part of the world.
    Where are you from?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• boston_stoker
    Options
    Many forum members have used CW Mike's advice for great ribs.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=1207

Try a pork butt. I quite like this one:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
  • Holy Smokes
    Options
    Mickey wrote:
    Welcome to our little part of the world.
    Where are you from?

Medical Lake, WA (a little town outside of Spokane)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Did you say a 15# rack of spare ribs? Wow.

If you use the CWM method be advised that spares typically cook an hour or so longer than baby backs.

I do them indirect at 245-250 for 7 or 8 hours - they're done when the meat pulls back from the bones about 1/2". A quick slather of sauce and that's it. No flips, no spritz, no nothing.