Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shiny new Egg!

Options
WhatsItinMaine
WhatsItinMaine Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all! After a lot of research, we just got our large Egg delivered this week. The only accessory we bought to start is the plate setter, and I also have a Thermapen en route.
So...now comes the decision of what to cook first.
We're going shopping first thing tomorrow morning, hopefully to beat the Super Bowl shoppers, and I am longing for a nice juicy steak. Maybe we'll try ribs on Sunday. What do you all think? Are these good first cook choices? We've never cooked on an Egg before.

We can't wait to do a pizza!

So much food potential!

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    Cook something you are comfotable with. No need to do a crazy experiment just because the egg is new. If you do steaks, then do a steak. Same thing with pork chops or chicken breasts. Keep it simple the first couple times.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Congrats on your wise decision!

What part of the country are you located?

Do you know any body else close by an owns an egg?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hello & Welcome!
    IMO I would initiate your new BGE with a nice thick Ribeye! Hope to see some photos of your cook.

2010-07-30%202010-07-30%20001%20011.JPG?psid=1
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Here look this cook over from the nakedwhiz site.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Congrats on the Shiny New Egg!
    And welcome to the Fun, Food, and Friends :woohoo:
  • Tailgate
    Options
    mine was planked salmon..eggcellent..
    followed by
    filets
    port tenderloin
    ribs
    pizza!!!!!!
    spatchcocked chicken
    ribs
    turket breast
    tritips
    pizza!!!!!
    ribs

sorry, I did make a list and I got carried away.. I do like pizza on the BGE

Superbowl plans

Pizza!!!!!

enjoy.. Bob
  • BBQ Hippie
    Options
    Wifey got me a large BGE for Christmas. My first cook was a 5lb rib roast. It was fantastic.
  • Lovenbrau
    Options
    You will be amazed how forgiving the egg is to use. Get used to controlling the temp and study direct/indirect, then cook anything the way you would normally in an oven, on a grill, or in a smoker.
  • No Cal Brian
    Options
    I'd go for something safe like ribs or chicken. Or something you normally cook at 350.

As a relatively new egg owner too, I'm still fascinated by the versatility of the thing. One thing to be careful about... you can go crazy buying up all the cool accessories like pizza stones and peels, double-decker grids (can't remember the formal name), thermometers, etc. Also I think it's pretty important to get good lump charcoal. I stick the the BGE brand after trying a few others but got tired of finding full logs and a bits in the bags.

Enjoy!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Good for you, but the KISS method may be best the first few cooks to get used to it. As was said, do what you do best and you will find the egg makes it better (and we are talking hots here).......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Cactus Doug
    Options
    I typically tell people to start by roasting a chicken for the following reasons;
    1. Roasting a chicken gives you a chance to practice controlling the temperature of the cooker, somewhere between 350 and 400 dome is fine.
    2. The cook is of medium duration, not a fast steak cook and not an overnighter.
    3. If everything goes horribly wrong and the chicken is not edible, you can take comfort that it was not $70 in prime beef just a $7 chicken.
    4. Roasted chicken off the egg is good, always juicy with crispy skin.
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with whatever you choose to cook.
  • tvguru
    Options
    I highly recommend this cook first. It was my second and wish I had done it first. Found it so easy and came out great! It's a great way to get your feet wet without too much trouble.

Best of luck!
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    Congrats on the new egg. Take a really good look at the nice vanilla white interior. Take a picture. It will never be the same again. :)

First cooks - I'm thinking it should be something simple. Roast a chicken (with a little smoke) is easy. Maybe a pork butt for pulled pork - a very easy and supremely forgiving cook with almost guaranteed good results. Those were my first couple of cooks. I also did a couple of pork tenderloins over indirect heat - with a simple marinade they turned out juicy, tender, and wonderful!
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Options
    And on that first cook - don't forget to wait for the 'bad' smoke to clear. Nothing worse than saying "I spent how much on this thing and my steak tastes like gasoline?"
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    A Porterhouse was my first cook and ribs were my second. Can't go wrong with one hot cook and one low and slow cook.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    Bone in...that's what I'm talking about.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    My cooks since Christmas arrival (I keep a record using the Living Cookbook):

Chicken Breasts
    Rib Eye
    Flank Steak
    Ceadar Plank Salmon
    brisket
    Cedar Plank Chicken Breasts
    Pork Tenderlion
    T-bone
    Pizza
    Butt
    New York Steak and Hambugers
    Flank Steak

1st cook:

266.jpg
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • WhatsItinMaine
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses. We bought a couple of nice thick rib eyes. Unfortunately, they did not have bone-in. I think I will roast a chicken next, though. I went back to my dealer today and got some wood chunks and a vertical chicken rack. Also got a rack lifter and some thermal gloves. DONE with the accessories for awhile! Uh huh... Oh, my Thermopen arrived today, too! Perfect.

Took the clean new egg pic. Will take more as we cook.

ETA: We're in Maine. It's warm today, though; 33 degrees. ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hey where in Maine?? I am south of Bangor, Verona island :) but we are smart and bail out in Nov till end of april.
  • WhatsItinMaine
    Options
    Lucky you! It's been a cold, snowy winter. We're south; in Portland area. I actually had to look up Verona Island. Beautiful area of Maine. You may still have some snow left when you return in April!
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Just talked to DIL who lives in Windham and she said it is coming down pretty good right now. You need to plan on coming to the NH egg fest the end of June. lots of fun and you learn a ton! no matter how long you have been egging. and meet some pretty special people too :)
  • WhatsItinMaine
    Options
    Yup, just started snowing here within the past half hour. Good thing, too, as we've had almost two days without snow!
    I don't see a banner up there for the NH egg fest. Where can I find details on it?
  • Mainegg
    Options
    here is the link to last years info.
    http://www.eggerville.com/
    they will have it updated soon. DIL said the forecast just went from 1-3 to 6-12 LOL trying hard not to chuckle LOL
  • WhatsItinMaine
    Options
    I lived right next door to Brentwood a few years back.
    Ayuh, it's coming down heavy and covering fast. :angry:

Time to light the grill!
  • WhatsItinMaine
    Options
    Success! We followed the TRex method on The Naked Whiz's site.
    We seared for 90 seconds each side, then let rest for 15 minutes while the grill cooled down and cooked for another 3 minutes each side. They were nice and pink, but next time we'll cut the sear down to 60 seconds. They could've been just a bit more rare, but OMG, what flavor! Absolutely delicious.

I missed pics of them cooking, but here's the finished product.
    I'm going to get a chicken for tomorrow.
    df259a9d.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Looks like you nailed it!
  • WhatsItinMaine
    Options
    Lunch today...
    7c23eaf7.jpg

And now there's a chicken roasting for dinner.