Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need to trim spares?

Bash
Bash Posts: 1,011
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done the spare ribs as shown on the thirdeye site before.

I'm felling lazy today - would it be a mistake to just cook the whole things without cutting up? I plan on cooking it all anyway, so if it would work doing them whole, I'll just do that.

I'll be cooking a little hotter today, as it's late getting started. Around 300, maybe a tad hotter if that's what it takes to get them done in 4 hours or so.

If it is worth it, I'll cut them up.

Anyone done them whole with good success?

Richard

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    It only takes a couple minutes to trim them. Find the joint by flexing them back and forth a few times then a quick run with a good sharp knife is all it takes.

That said, you can cook them whole, but eating them is a bit different. All the cartilage that runs perpendicular to the bones makes it a little more of an effort. I also find that cooking them whole generally adds an hour or so to the cook.

I've got two slabs on that are approaching 5 hours right now - I tend to let mine go 7-8 at 245&deg - and mine are trimmed. I cook up the trimmings for the dogs.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC08464a.jpg

I cook full slabs all the time.... they are an excellent way to show off your skill on the pit. I would recommend cutting the flap off the backside and of course peeling the membrane. Allow a couple of hours more of cook time. Here is what the finished slabs look like.

1f1724ff.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC08475a.jpg

Hold on dude.... the trim goes to the dogs?? Those are my favorite part. Heheee.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    A dog's gotta eat too, man.

Sometimes I grind them up for chili or fatties, sometimes I cook for the dogs, sometimes I eat 'em, sometimes I freeze them for later. Whatever mood strikes me. Today the dogs got lucky.
  • Bash
    OK, that was enough to get me moving.

Here they are cut up and cooking:

6c1bb8d9.jpg

Since I don't want to eat at 10PM, I'm going to cook at 300 or so. Hope to be done by half time.

Thanks for the nudging.
  • Bash
    Those look great. I'll try that next time. Since I'm getting a late start, I went ahead and trimmed them.

On this one, Costco removed the extra from the back, but I did have to remove the membranes. Was easy this time. :)
  • Bash
    Especially since the 'trimmings' are over half the weight. The two slabs from costco were 9.5 pounds, and the 'trimmings' were at least 4.5 of that.

Looking forward to half-time!