Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have a situation

probie
probie Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The wife want to make a sweet and sour pulled pork. I need a recipe on short notice I would like to brine it for a few days with a sweet and sour brine if possible. And ideas!!!!!!!!

Comments

•  
    I don't have any recipes for it but have thought tequila/lime sounded like a good combination. Tequila and lime on anything sounds good to me. Just a thought. Search the web and forum, must be something that can be adapted out there.

Blair
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    He'll pull a few things out of his bag of tricks. ;)
  • Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    Just give your wife the booze, then she wont care what you cook.
  • When you're talking "Pulled Pork" what is it that you are going to roast and pull?
    I see no need to brine a butt...Plenty of fat, flavor and moisture already. A rub, yes!
    As for a sweet & sour....I would do that with a finishing or table sauce. I'll see what I have on file.
    If you are doing a butt...For now, I wouldn't be concerned with anything except for a rub. And, if you're thinking oriental....
    I would lean toward the ginger, garlic and 5-Spice side of life!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    As previously mentioned,the butt has enough fat so brining IMHO is not necessary. Here is a very sweet sauce for the pork after cooked and pulled. Serve it as a side as it may be too sweet for some. Add some cayenne or crushed red pepper if you want to kick it up.

Sauce, Sweet & Sour, Chinese, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    Sweet & Sour Sauce:
    1 Cup Chicken Broth
    1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
    1 Cup Ketshup
    Splash Mushroom Soy Sauce, or Soy sauce
    1-2 Tbs Chinese Cooking Wine
    1 Cup Duck sauce, Far East Sweet & Sour Sauce, or Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
    1 Cup Pineapple Juice
    1/3 Cup Black Vinegar
    4 Cloves Chopped Garlic
    3 Tbs Ginger, Minced, Micro Plane
    5-6 Pieces Sliced Scallions

PROCEDURE:
    1 Place all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low simmer and cook for 30-45 minutes to reduce volume and thicken. Can be made in advance and stored in refrigerator.

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source
    Source: Egg Foo Looey's, Richard Howe, 1994/05/25
  • probie
    That recipe sounds great what rub would work with that. I have all the dp rubs
  • probie
    That recipe sounds great what rub would work with that. I have all the dp rubs
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Shakin the tree or raging river. The citrus flavor or shaking would compliment the sweet & sour sauce.
  • Sound advice. Basic prep is fundamental. You can add all you want on the outside, but inside will have zero impact. so mix the cooked meat well! LAst word of advice, please, pleaase hide the salt when serving. plate it yoursselves with relevant sauces.
    Andy