Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

..........been missing ya'll

eenie meenie
eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been without power since Tuesday from the ice storm. I returned to work tonight to charge some paraphernalia and thought I would take the opportunity to check out the forum and post......been missing ya'll.

This was a nonegged breakfast on Weds., as it was wicked outside with a freezing rain and winds. I had made homemade bread the night before and toasted it in the morning over the gas burner. I went to fix coffee and noticed my grinder was electric, so I ground beans using a mortar and pestle. I wrapped them in a filter and placed in a mesh thinging and placed in boiling water. Never should have given away the French press. I fried some chorizo sausage and then fried an egg in the grease from the chroizo.....yummy.

IMG_5976-1.jpg

IMG_5978.jpg

IMG_5980.jpg
This is my refrigerator, with a pot of chili on top:

IMG_6026.jpg

IMG_6033.jpg

Here's my iced Egg:

IMG_6045.jpg

IMG_6047.jpg

IMG_6018.jpg

Fixed a strip steak on the egg tonight for dinner and roasted a potato in the embers of the fireplace. Dinner was by candlelight, of course.

IMG_6040.jpg

IMG_6051.jpg

IMG_6070-1.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

IMG_6050.jpg

They say power will be restored by Friday evening or Saturday morning. I was lucky and lost only one tree and two large limbs from another tree. My family is in Florida and their homes are without power, so I cleared out three refigerators and three freezers and took it down to the homeless shelter today. Trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Glad you are Ok and not in to bad a shape :( sorry for your trees :( your yard is wonderful Rebecca. stay safe and warm and we miss you too
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    That is a mighty fine looking steak dinner Rebecca!!

I was just thinking of you earlier this evening when Helen was wearing her favorite polka-dot apron ;)
  • Rebecca I hope you get your electric back soon. Looks like you did a awesome job keeping your tummy full. Love the way the bread looks. Great idea donating the food. Bless you. only if more people think like that. Stay warm. ;)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Wow I hope your power is restored sooner rather than later but love your positive attitude. Now that you have cleaned out the fridges maybe it's time to join your family down here, I hear rumors of a lot of good food being served in this area Sunday ;)
    Oh and I cooked breakfast Wednesday also :laugh: :laugh:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1037585&catid=1

Stay safe and hope all is back to normal soon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Rebecca, now THAT is some ice!!! We had some, but nowhere near what you had. Sounds like you're not suffering too much though. Food looks great! Good on ya for the homeless shelter!! Hope you're staying warm!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    BACK to BASICS! ;) I am sad that you were without power but am glad ya'll are SAFE! Another story that you will look back on and smile.I bet it was a TASTEE breakfast! :)
  • Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. At home here when the power goes out we just chew the coffee beans and swish with hot water from the fire to get coffee. Almost looks like a Canadian Winter there...... The meal looks wonderful otherwise! Stay warm!!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Nice work Rebecca! As long as you can eat a good hot dinner(in your case, breakfast as well)there is something to be thankful for. Sorry to hear about the ice mess. :( I'll take snow anyday.
    You took a hit with the freezer food as well, what can you do... :S That was nice of you to give your food to the shelter. But aren't they out of power as well or do they have a generator?
    Take care, be safe and stay warm!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Oh that sucks. We got lucky and only had ours flash out for a few seconds when the Kettering substation went.
  •  
    Glad your OK Rebecca, thanks for the great post! Your cooking is perfection as always. :)

Blair

• Rebecca:

And I'm griping about nighttime temps in the 30s! The first thing that popped into my head was that you'd have made one heck of a pioneer woman. I've gotta hand it to you, ingenuity is your strong suit!

What a photo essay! Beautiful pictures, and I have to ask what kind of camera you use.

Next time you get your hands on a French press, HANG ONTO IT. I had a couple laying around too and then discovered there is a definite art to making the best coffee of your life in it. If/When you want to hear about it, send me an email.

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Rebecca: Was wondering about you!! Glad to know you are safe, yet limping along...lol (in more ways than one! :whistle: )
    I must say...It sure looks like 5 Star Camping/Dining to me!! Maybe a new niche? :laugh:
    Hope power comes back soon! Sorry I didn't call sooner...
    Be well and be safe my friend!! B)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Hey Rebecca
    Looks like your making the best of the power outage
    The steak dinner couldn't look better
    Fireplace taters are always great :)

Shane
  • care to explain your temporary freeezer contents?
    1 gallon of whipping cream and aresol can of whipped cream,,
    guess you can never have too much whipped cream when you are snowed in..
    you could have emptied ground coffee from the keurig containers.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Wow, Rebecca! You're really having it rough. That's some great looking grub, though, under the circumstances. That was a good call taking food to the shelter. Good on you!! :lol: You have tenacity.....indeed!! :woohoo:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Rebecca,

I really like how you roll. ;)

Sure as heck wish we were going to be seeing you soon, though. :ermm:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Hey you tenacious girl....how do you keep warm??? The fireplace? Great gesture Rebecca, You are an example to us all. BTW Wish I could cook as nice a breakfast as yours with power & all :laugh: ;)
  • Julie, sure wish I was in Florida kayaking with you and Neil. :laugh:
  • Barry, where have you been? I never see you on the forum. Great to hear from you and I am delighted that Helen is enjoying her apron and her Egg! :)
  • Mike, I think my family knew something I didn't......they all abandoned me for Florida this week. :( Oh well, I'll be down there for the fest! :)
  • Oh no, Pat! It appears I'm copying a rule breaker. :ohmy: Oh well, there could be worse Eggers to emulate. :woohoo:

Can't wait to see your Superbowl post Pat!
  • Michael, you Connecticut Yankees can be such wimps :lol: :laugh: :woohoo: :whistle:
  • Hoss, indeed, it was a tasty breakfast. Loved the chorizo, but I'm suer your sausage would have been even better! :)
  • BigBadger, you do what to make coffee???????? B)
  • Clay, I'm with you. I'll take snow any day over ice. I really enjoyed you recent 'snowbound' cooks. :)

The power outage is spotty and our hood bore the brunt do to older trees and above ground power lines. St Vincent DePaul had power. I'm sure the hospitals and homeless shelters, nursing homes, etc. have priority during the restoration.
  • Dennis, I'm glad you have power :) .....I expect mine to be restored soon. I suppose DP&L consider me a low priority......maybe they know I have an egg and can fend for myself. ;)
  • Gator, I'm surprised with your cold intolerance that you can even look at my post! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thank you for your kind words. :)
  • Judy, I just use a point and shoot Canon Powershot SD1100 IS Elph. I haven't even figured out how to use the manual settings, maybe one of these days.

If it's just me I've been using a Keurig single cup coffee maker. If I have guests, I bring out my larger coffee maker. I'm very fortunate to get caveman coffee beans raosted by noneother than lowercasebill! I'll be dropping you an email regarding the coffee! Loved the pic of your espresso machine from last week! :)
  • Hi Michelle, this ice has made me paranoid when walking....but so far, so good. No more mishaps. ;)

Say hi to my family. They are in Coral Gables, then over to Key Biscayne. Sure wish I was with them. :(

Last time I went winter camping was in Yellowstone. Thank goodness I had a great sherpa on that adventure. :laugh:
  • Shane, thanks for your thoughts! :)

I actually wasn't that pleased with the fireplace tater. It steamed in the foil. So the potato had that steamy consistency, rather than the drier, fluffier consistency. I even let it sit out of the foil in the hearth for a while, but that didn't help.