Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack o' Lamb: Help me not screw it up

abundell
abundell Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried a search, but there were 800 results...

I have a large egg. I'll be cooking 3 frenched racks of 8 ribs each (Costco).

I was thinking a little salt, pepper, and maybe a little rosemary and that's it.

My understanding is to pull them at 125 deg for med rare. (Is that about 15 mins?)

I was figuring a temp of 425-450. Yes? No?

I have a raised grid, but I was figuring I'd probably go directly on the regular grid.

One concern is when I open the lid. I've had lamb burst into flames due to the fat catching fire.

I also thought about standing them up in a rib rack and cooking them that way. It would be easy, but do I need the lamb close to the lump so it crusts up?

Anyway, thanks.

What's the best way to do this?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I do them raised direct and thats about the right temp to pull

100_2590.jpg

100_2592.jpg
  • Sent an SOS to PhotoEgg for you ;)
    He's the lambspert this side of the Mississippi!

In the meantime, Sam's rack o lamb are pretty well trimmed -- don't know about Costco's.

That high of a temp and direct will be getting a nice sear, but could burn if you aren't on top of thngs...hope you have a long handled set of tongs, too.

Looking forward to results with pics B)
  • Those look great, Pat!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Are your racks domestic or imported?

The flavoring is up to you. If you like lamb flavor, a simple seasoning like you mentioned will work great. Marinades are an option, even on one rack if you think other folks might want a more subtle lamb flavor. If you go with a marinade, reserve some for basting when you turn the racks. If you don't go with a marinade, mix up a small amount of basting liquid with some oil in it. Even a little flavored olive oil will work.... a light coating helps prevent sticking on the grate and will help get a good even color.

First thing is to peel the membrane, lamb racks have them just like pork ribs.

DSC03051a.jpg

Fat is where the stronger lamb flavors live, so trim accordingly to match the degree of flavor you want.

DSC03052a.jpg

I have much better control when cooking with a raised direct set-up. And I think your 125° internal will be fine for med rare. Don't use time, go by actual temperature.

DSC03060a.jpg

If you think some folks might want theirs a little more done, it's easier to cut a medium rare rack and finish off some single or double chops to medium. This will take no time at all

DSC03073a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    It is hard to go wrong with a rack of lamb.

I cook mine direct, on a raised grate and pull at 125-130.

I really like Dizzy Pig's Dizzy dust on mine, but there is nothing wrong with S&P and rosemary, as you suggest.

The most important thing is to cook to temp (or feel) and not to time. I would probably do them 8 minutes fat side down and then turn them and judge how much longer to leave them. My guess would be around 6 minutes more, but it is best to check the temp or go by feel.

12-12-10Lamb2.jpg
  • Our favorite recipe for rack of lamb is on the Dizzy Pig website. Non-lamb lovers will go for seconds! :woohoo:

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesLambChops.html
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning abundell:

Here is a LINK - Click here to a favoite lamb recipe of ours. Good luck!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• If you are going to cook at that temp, wrap your bones in foil for the first half of your cook to keep from burning.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy. A good rack of lamb is a gorgeous piece if food. I think the most important thing for those nice chunks of meat you have is to get a good flavor crust. Lamb is a hearty meat, and it is tough to over season. Your seasoning sounds good, though I personally don't believe rosemary will be the key to success. Use plenty of salt and pepper, and definitely some garlic. Maybe some coffee instead of rosemary. But that's just me.

So, back to the flavor crust. Now you got a nice layer of your seasonings, get the fire hot. If you've seen the recipe for a TRex steak, that's what you want. Sear it til one side is sizzling and getting dark. Char is your friend with lamb. Flip and char the backside, watching for flareups (lamb has a lot of fat). Once it's charred, rest it a tad and raise your grate, then roast it indirect to 125-135, or til it feels right under your finger.

I did a little ditty on our website years ago. Might help. http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesLambChops.html

Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Thanks to everyone. I'm ready to rock and roll.
  • One of my favorites.
    Seasoned & ready for the grill.
    013-1.jpg
    Sliced & ready to plate
    014-1.jpg
    Finished Product
    015-1.jpg
  • What technique and seasoning did u end up using?
    Pics??
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I'll second what Chris says. Red Eye Express is amazing on lamb and this cooking method will let you score.
  • The lamb goes down on Saturday night.

I've never posted pics... I think I need to set up Photobucket (or sumthin'). But I'll do my best.

Thanks again!
  • Success!

With a small asterisk (and no pics... we have 3 ft of snow on the ground, I was cooking in a thunderstorm complete with lightning, and then there's the asterisk)...

I combined a lot of suggestions. I did a light marinade (maybe 2 cups for 5 racks) for 3-4 hours. Some red wine, EVOO, garlic, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Not enough to immerse the racks, just enough to "kiss" them with a little flavor. Dusted the racks with a little salt, pepper and rosemary. Nothing heavy. After putting the racks in the Egg, I reduced the marinade to a syrupy consistency, adding more wine as it boiled down.

Cranked the Egg up to 600+. Threw in a thumb-sized soaked piece of oak. Put the racks on for 3 mins direct and on the regular grid (not raised). Flipped and another 3. Pulled them and shut down the Egg to get it to 400. Took a while. Meanwhile, the lamb temp kept climbing as they rested. Hit 121, but I knew they weren't cooked. They dropped to 116 or so while I waited for the Egg to get to temp

Put the racks in a rib rack on a drip tray and let them go to 126. Pulled them and rested them.

I must say I was a bit concerned that they didn't take long to cook. I cut the most done one first and it was perfect. Right on the verge of rare-medium rare. Maybe a dime sized center that still looked "uncooked". But the others were simply too rare for the crowd. I had to keep running the racks out into the dark and stormy night and trying to nail them one by one. They all ended up coming out PERFECT, but I was running around for probably 30 mins trying to juggle them all.

I also got exactly what I wanted for taste. Nothing to overpower the natural taste of the meat. So I got a charred outside, a hint of wine and spice, the reduction sauce was awesome, and none of that took away from the actual taste of the lamb.

So my only question is... is 125 really the right temp to get them on the verge of rare-medium rare? It's also possible that it's the right temp for 1-2 racks, but juggling 5 racks was a bit of a circus.

Thanks again to EVERYONE for the comments. Dinner was a home run and everyone was raving about the lamb.