Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Eggs!

Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 2 eggs and one is frozen shut. I need to cook bbq for 50+ peoplefor this weekend and want to get started on the brisket for the chili. Any suggestions on opening the egg w/out risking a torn gasket? I've done it once before where I pulled the gasket off of it's base...

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Discussed many times before so there may be better help in the search forum...the remedy seems to be to put lump or cubes in the bottom vent & light. You also might try a MAPP torch or propane torch around the edges to get the ice off....good luck with your big cook... ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I have never had this problem but is there any lump in the egg? You can try to get the lump burning from above or from below. Maybe start a fire in the bottom of the egg...
  •  
    My medium is/was frozen shut the large, mini & small OK.

I keep some starter cubes on hand for this problem, but paper towel or newspaper will also work fine.

All vents wide open. 1 or 2 well lit cubes dropped down through the dome and 1 or 2 cubes in under the fire grate will/should do the trick. Give enough time for the egg to warm. Most likely the lump will light and the problems is resolved pretty quickly.

Don't pull too hard as the gasket may pull off of the ceramics if there is not enough heat at the time you open.

GG
  • I've never had this problem..yet...but would a heat gun around the gasket work? Don't get too close, but it should work well.

I'd first drop the starter cubes in like others said.
  • Maybe keep a cheap cover on it in the winter. Just a suggestion that works for me.