Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Butts, Need advice

Eggvis
Eggvis Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Last week, I did my first overniter as some of you may recall, and tonight I plan to do something similar. Here's the scoop:
I have 2 butts this time,
TwoButts.jpg
the left one weighing 5.5 lbs and the right at 4.5 lbs. I want to try to turbo them slightly and stabilize at 275. I read in an earlier post this year of someone (sorry, can't find print out) who had a butt that weighed 6.68 and he cooked it at 275. On by 8:00am and off by 3:30pm. That's just over an hr a lb. My questions for the eggsperts are these:
Do I calculate my total time eggin as a total weight of the two butts? (i.e.- 10 lbs @ 275 for 10-13 hrs?) Or do I cook them and calculate time based on individual weights? (I.e.- 5.5 lb'er for 7 hrs.or so and slightly less than that for the 4.5 lb'er)
Would love any and all input. Want butts on egg around 8-9pm.
Here's my outdoor setup:
Readyfortherainorsnowtonight.jpg[p]Paul

Comments

• David
    David Posts: 97
    Eggvis,[p]I'm doing the same thing tonight - 2 - 7.5lb butts. Someone told me cook time is based on individual weights. I'm going low and slow. 225 for about 15 hours. [p]Your set up looks great. We're in the middle of a blizzard in MA and i have my patio umbrella perched over my egg.[p]Go Pats! Good luck!

• Eggvis
    david,
    Ok, I have since revamped my plans....I have my Maverick Model 73 workin for me. I put the smoker probe, (wrapped in foil) down by drip pan level. I also have meat probe in. Last week I ran into some temp peculiarities, so I'm trying to come to some sort of happy medium. The BGE temp gauge is reading 250, the smoker probe at 310. I figure that if the dome temp doesn't climb above 250, then I should be fine. I set the alarm on my grate probe for +/- 20 degrees. I'll keep ya'll updated as this cook wears on...
    chillin.jpg

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    eggvis,[p]Looks like you are all set for a cozy evening. Enjoy the pork tomorrow![p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Eggvis
    GrillMeister,
    Thanks for the kind words....hopin not to have to spend too much time out there tonight...putin faith in my Remote!!

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    eggvis,
    Your setup looks mighty fine. I see the weather in Greenville is just like here in Spartanburg, DREARY! I cooked 2 butts weighing a total of 15.3 lbs this week and the total time was 17 hours. I kept te dome around 225. I'm trying the stuffed chix breasts tonight on the egg. Oops. It's time to turn them now! Good luck over there.[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • jaymer
    jaymer Posts: 49
    JimboBQ,
    i'm a newbie, but for that length of time, can you tell me how many times you have to replenish your charcoal? I do butts a lot, but not on an egg - want to get one. Just wondering how much of a hassle its going to be to keep a fire going that long.
    thx
    jaymer...

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    jaymer,[p]Not even once did I have to add lump. I make sure I have new, fresh lump and fill the fire box full up to the rim. That's the beauty of the egg. Of course the BBQ Guru keeps the fire going at just the right temp. You can set it, forget it, and go to bed. The Guru will let you know when things are done.
    PS: I'm a newbie too. Just been egging since June. Best hobbie ever! I rely on this forum to keep me steered in the right path. Lots of knowledgable (spelling?) folks here that we can learn from.[p]Jimbo[p]

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    jaymer,[p]If you don't skimp on your lump, fill all the way up to the top of the firebox, you can go a long, long time. You shouldn't have to replenish on an overnight cook. I cannot recall what the longest time is on a single charge but it's over 24 hours. I'm not saying you can do it right out of the chute though. You'll need to learn how to maintain your temps, which isn't much of a problem for most people.