Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wireless thermometer question

Options
Hub
Hub Posts: 927
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks,

Without doing my research (very rare for me to not do so) I bought a Maverick ET7 wireless thermometer. It is danged near worthless! If my receiver gets more than 10 feet from the transmitter I lose my signal, and several reviews I've read say the same thing.

So I need to purchase a different one. I see a lot of folks here talk about the ET-73 but because the Maverick ET7 is so bad, I am concerned about buying another Maverick. Anyone care to share his or her thoughts?

Also, smoking a butt today, and the dome temp says 258 while the grid temp says 201. Should there be that big of a difference in the two? Probe is simply resting on grate, indirect, above a drip pan with water.
Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• boston_stoker
    Options
    Assuming you don't want a power draft control system like the Stoker or the BBQ Guru, there is a new Maverick that is getting good reviews. It is an upgrade on ET-73. The wires can withstand higher heat.

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et732.htm

If it doesn't have to be wireless, the people at Thermoworks make a great product too.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have the new 732 [just got it] and it is a nice upgrade from the 73, which I also have and it has not given me any problems in the year I have used it. B)
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Hub, from what I've read, save the ET-7 but get the ET-732 which has better range and more heat resistant probe wires. You can always use the ET-7 as a second temperature guage while doing those long cooks. Just plug it into the meat without the remote being used. You will need to go out to read it but it will give you a second guess of how the cook is going.

I'm not sure if the ET-7 transmitter will interfere with the new ET or not.
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    I got a 73 that wouldn't hold the signal to communicate even if kept in close proximity. Finally got around 9 months after purchase to sending it in to Maverick, they sent a new one no questions asked. Haven't used yet, but from forum expect my first was a fluke. Just wanted to give Maverick credit for making it right.

That said, I've done some overnights including a large packer brisket, that went just fine although I didn't sleep well with the brisket, got up to confirm. I do look forward to peaceful sleep not worrying that the fire goes bonkers. My first butt was lost because fire went out, but I do believe I've got the hang of building a fire that's stable.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    I'd give you my ET-73 but it as such a piece of junk I threw it away
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I love my ET-73. Had it for about 8 years now without any problem and still using original probes. When it dies, I'll purchase the ET-732, heard good things about it so far...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• field hand
    Options
    I've had a ET-73 for about a year and a half. Works good, no problems. Will have to admit the first one I bought didn't work, receiver wouldn't pick up the transmitter. I returned it and recieved a new one under warranty, it has worked great.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I think Maverick has some quality control issues. I have an ET-73 that is 3 years old or so and works flawlessly, with great range, and I've not yet changed a battery in either piece. But as many praises as I see there are an equal number of complaints.

As for the temp difference, yes, that is normal. The coldness of the meat along with the natural heat draft around the sides of the indirect piece will keep that area lower than the dome, but after a while the difference will decrease.
  • howmeisterg
    Options
    Hi. I purchased a ET73 and it is worthless - I also had the same problem. No more than 10 foot range. I sent back to Maverick at my expense. They sent me a new one and it has the same problem! Cannot get more than 10 feet range out of it. I am going to email Maverick again to see that they will do.

In the meantime, I got an ET-732 as a gift and it is fantastic. I would have no reservations on buying an ET-732. It transmits from the deck to my bedroom on the opposite side of the house, no problem.

As for the temp difference, that is exactly what I was getting on my overnight indirect cooks. I had my drip pans filled with 1.5" of hot water as well. It took many hours before the two temp came close to equalizing.

Happy Egging!
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Piling on here, but I've had two ET-73's and they were junk. Fidel is probably spot on, as many on here love their 73's.

I am really hoping the 732 is better, as I ordered one this morning.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
  • knisely1
    Options
    Anyone here use the BGE brand wireless thermometer?

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    ET-732 is great.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options

I haven't used it, but it looks like it is a 732 with a BGE label slapped on the front...and $10 added to price tag.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options

The one in the new bge book is a 732 with big green egg on it.

Geaux Tigers!!!