Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic top

Scottborasjr
Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So should I have gotten a top with my egg or is that another accessory I need to purchase?
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Two tops are included. Green ceramic and cast iron daisy wheel.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Should have been with the Egg.I have bought 3 eggs all with a ceramic rain cap.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• The daisy wheel is the only top I have & don't see a need for the other one. Not sure when I would use it.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    I use the green ceramic top for snuffing out the remaining lump especially if it's raining. another plus is that it is not as abrasive on the inside of my cover than the Daisy wheel.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Using the ceramic lid allows the DFMT to be stored out of the weather, it also helps in putting out the lump quicker.

I put some gasket material around the inside of the ceramic top for a tighter fit and hopefully a quicker shut down.
    gasket4.jpg

GG
  • For snuffing out the fire and keeping the rain / snow out!!
    And Scottborasjr...It should have come with the Egg!
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    That's a pretty cool idea! It may not make for a tighter seal but, at the very least, it will soften the blow when putting the cap on the dome. Way nice!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    When I put the green top on to shut down I put the cast iron daisy wheel in the hot egg. Keeps it clean and working easy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Both of mine came with ceramic and cast iron tops. Not only does the ceramic top damp the fire faster, but in rainy weather, provides a complete water block. Wet ash turns very hard once dry, and should be avoided.
  • Shoudda come in a small square box along with 3 green feet!
    Ask your dealer to give it to ya ;)
  • Mickey, great idea on putting the daisy wheel in the hot egg when shutting down. I am always fighting a "gunky" daisy wheel.

Thanks.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    yes.

the daisy goes in the egg after the cook (it'll season that way and not rust), and the ceramic cap will snuff the fire and keep rain out.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Scottborasjr
    Really beginning to question my dealer, first it took two and a half months to get a plate setter, now I realize that I didn't get the feet or the ceramic top. Very frustrated. :angry:
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Carolina Q
    If you want to be sure you're not missing anything else, the video on the BGE site (unpacking and assembling) shows the various boxes (and their contents) that come with your egg. However, if you have an XL, feet are not included as they are not recommended for that size egg.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/videos/unpackassemb.html

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Scottborasjr
    No, it's a large. 90% positive I should have gotten a ceramic top and the feet and I got neither.
  • Carolina Q
    100%. You should have received both.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stike
    for some reason, some dealers see the feet as useless if you have a nest (do you have a nest?). they assume you don't want them, and so don't include them, never knowing you might want them for something else (as pizza stone spacers, for example).

same for the ceramic cap. i think the diasy was once an 'extra', many moons ago. but they ship WITH the eggs now. the ceramic cap too. but again, the dealer thinks "well, he's got the fancy daisy, and won't need the old style cap".

sounds like your dealer is a seller, not a user.

good news is he probably has a shelf full of caps and feet back at the shop.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Should have gotten both tops.
  • stike
    first few months i used the egg, i just gave the ceramic top a spin after putting it on. after a while, the soot/fat smoothed down to a nice flat surface.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Good idea G.G.!!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    they come in the same box. He probably just forgot to grab it. Same thing happened to me from a great dealer that just made a mistake. Don't worry, if your dealer doesn't take care of you then Bruce will at the Mothership. ;)