Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big ol' Prime Rib t'night

Options
BigBadger
BigBadger Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Felt the need for a big ol' hunk of beef. Loads of great food for my wonderful parents who have been kindly feeding me forever! Of course they live under the stairs so they don't have far to waddle home in time for their shows!!

Nice big roast from Costco
IMG00311-20110123-1516.jpg

Garlic, Mustard, Dizzy Pig
IMG00312-20110123-1525.jpg

IMG00313-20110123-1534.jpg

NEVER LIFT THE LID WITHOUT BURPING!!

IMG00314-20110123-1535.jpg

IMG00315-20110123-1857.jpg

IMG00317-20110123-2027.jpg

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Every pic is great except for the burnt up arm. Hope it tasted as good as it looked. :)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Feeding Frenzy
    Options
    Badger, did you pull at 136+? How high did it go on the rest? Or did you let it rest? Looks good. Thanks.
  • BigBadger
    Options
    Pulled at 136° on the thermapen in the centre of the roast. It rested only about 20 minutes as it took longer to cook than I expected and we were all very hungry. Temp went no higher that I could measure.... the cell phone is buggered and the colors are way off on all the indoor shots... new phone should be here tomorrow.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Prime rib looks great
    Usually only takes one flashback
    Then burping becomes habitual :laugh: :laugh:
    Glad your ok :)

Shane
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    136 degrees pulling temp seems a bit warm.

I prefer to pull my prime ribs at ~125 degrees then let them rest for a bit in a warm oven.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    is canadian AAA the same as prime? looks great.

i am exceptionally jealous of the pan ddrippings. i get next to nothing anymore. not sure if it is the dry aged or what, but for christmas i got three drops, literally.

looked aged, too, nice and brown (not that bright red color people think beef needs to be). was it aged?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Prime is prime. AAA is choice?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigBadger
    Options
    Mr Holloway wrote:
    Prime rib looks great
    Usually only takes one flashback
    Then burping becomes habitual :laugh: :laugh:
    Glad your ok :)

Shane

Lost the hair on my arm more than a few times. I find it hard to read the egg that way. Sometimes it does it, often it does not.
  • BigBadger
    Options
    Peter Creasey wrote:
    136 degrees pulling temp seems a bit warm.

I prefer to pull my prime ribs at ~125 degrees then let them rest for a bit in a warm oven.

I agree but on the other hand only 2 of us like rare, the rest prefer medium or (shudder) well :ohmy:. Would have liked to rest it longer but it was getting late and hunger was taking hold....
  • stike
    Options
    gotcha. thanks. i spose i coulda just googled it and saved you the trub. hahaha
  • BigBadger
    Options
    stike wrote:
    is canadian AAA the same as prime? looks great.

i am exceptionally jealous of the pan ddrippings. i get next to nothing anymore. not sure if it is the dry aged or what, but for christmas i got three drops, literally.

looked aged, too, nice and brown (not that bright red color people think beef needs to be). was it aged?

No, AAA is the same as your Choice cut. Or at least comparable.

2 of us love the drippings. I think it was due to my not letting it rest long enough. It was only aged as much as the butcher aged it. I have not learned to age such as I've read about folks doing that here . Maybe some day.

beefqu7.jpg
  • stike
    Options
    well, it looked great. looked aged, but maybe it was the flash.

thanks for the canadian/us cross-reference too
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Hmmmm... is it just me, or does that chart make a person want to get all of their beef from Canada?
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • stike
    Options
    since it is a chart produced in canada, i'm thinking that's the point ;)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    No no no, US beef is much more tender and flavourful!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigBadger
    Options
    Stike is correct in stating that the chart is Canadian made. Here is another indicating that in fact our grading (at least for marbelling) was changed to mirror the USDA graidng.

beefqu11.jpg

I've had good and not-so-good beef from both sides of the border. the worst I've ever had was Australian. Not sure why but it was tough and flavorless. Never buy that again.