Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try at BB ribs

Options
asianflava
asianflava Posts: 313
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since coming back from JOS BBQ school, I've been itchin' to see if I can reproduce Myron's BBQ. For some reason, I've never done Baby Backs, I usually do spares. Picked some "Extra Meaty" baby backs when I was getting my ingredients.

I'm not used to cooking with the high temps he is known for. The Guru had problems keeping temps that high. There was a big difference between the dome and Guru temps. I've never had that problem when I do a low & slow. I don't think I put enough charcoal in the egg when I started.

I followed all the steps and they came out just like the ribs we cooked in class. It was more of a competition rib as it wasn't "fall off the bone". It could also be because I didn't get the temps high enough. My wife really liked them, but they were a bit sweet for me, I prefer a dry rib.
165630_1821965552020_1326651636_32117476_6346265_n.jpg

Comments

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    All these rib cooks lately are killin me :laugh:
    Those look excellent, nice job :)

Shane
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    They look pretty, what temp did you cook them at? I've been cooking them at 350-375 and like the results. -RP
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    asianflava, I usually do spares dry myself, I will say they look great from my house. :P Great job. ;)
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    AsianFlava -
    Those ribs look perfect to me. Two things:

1) Don't be afraid to put too much lump in the firebox. The instructions and the video say something about to the top of the vent holes. When I first started, I did this, too, but would notice temperatures would drop and I couldn't get the temp to go up. Remember that when you do this - you usually have some un-burned chunks you can use for your next cook.

2) Ribs cooked "our way" need to be chewed. When rib meat falls off - this usually means they were probably boiled first. When we were kids, mom would make ribs that way: Boil them to get the grease out, then dunk them into Chris and Pitts BBQ sauce, then burn them on the Kingsford brickettes on the grill. I guess I like my BBQ memories because I remember my dad splashing "lawnmower gas" on the pile of coals, and throwing a lighted match in. That whooooosh sound was scary and neat at the same time!

Now that I am older, though, I use lump charcoal and start the fire with paper towel and vegetable oil.

Tell us more about the class/restaurant (?) you went to - any pictures of that?
  • Pro du Bar B Q
    Options
    they look absolutly succulent! ;)
    Bon appétit !!
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    they look great
    you can send some over here if you did not like them
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    They look darn good to me.
  • asianflava
    Options
    I grilled some ribeyes tonight and the firebox was pretty much depleted. There were a couple big chunks left but that was about it. Probably explains why I couldn't get the heat to come up. I cooked these ribs at 325F.

Da Kine Green BBQ wrote:
    Tell us more about the class/restaurant (?) you went to - any pictures of that?

I went down to Georgia a couple weeks ago to Myron Mixon's Jack's Old South BBQ school. It lasted all weekend starting with a meet and greet dinner on Fri and wrapping up on Sunday afternoon.

It was a bit pricy especially when you add in the Flight, Hotel, and Car, but it was my Christmas/Birthday present from my wife. We covered everything; Whole hog, Pork shoulder, Pork Butt, Brisket, Chicken, and Ribs. He showed us his method and his rubs, sauces, glazes, and spritz.

My pictures are on my other computer and it's currently zeroing out a 500Mb hard drive right now. The only one I have that is already hosted are these two:

163167_1807348506603_1326651636_32086268_6609373_n.jpg

165374_1809851609179_1326651636_32091948_1780157_n.jpg
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    WOW.... I would love a present like that!!!! Sounds like a weekend of wicked awesomeness! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Oh man!! Now that whole hog looks good! Thanks for sharing info pics on that class. I gotta check with my buddies in Atlanta and I just might go out there for a **business trip** you know?

Thanks again!!!!