Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question for you Pizza regulars. . .

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i made pizza last night for the first time. .. .the results were generally very, very good with one exception. .[p]first, i bought dough from an italian deli nearby me that is very good. . ..rolled it out. .. on one i brushed with olive oil, then tomatoe sauce and mozzerella and parmesan cheeses. ..the other i did the same but also put on the pancetta/mushroom mix i've been doing (and like chuck put in his stromboli). ..baked in the egg with setup - inverted plate setter with grid and pizza stone at 500 degrees dome temp. .. [p]now for my question. . . .while the tops of the pies finished very evenly, the crust didn't. ..one side of the crust was almost perfect, but about 1/3 was too done on the bottom. . .should i be turning my pizzas halfway through the cook to get even finishing? (heck i've seen the cooks do that at the big brick oven pizza joints) . . . i talked to nature boy this morning and he sugested putting a small firebrick in the bottom of the firebox (under the grate) to get more even heat. .. [p]just wondering what others (chuck - wess b? ) do with their's . .[p]btw, even with the over done crust in a couple of spots, they tasted fantastic!![p]thx[p]max

Comments

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Are you using the platesetter legs up or down. I use it legs down and have not experienced a difference in the crust doneness.
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I use my platesetter with legs down and the pizza stone right on top. No grid. I don't like using the grill grate because it might add some nasty flavors unless it is really clean. How long did you let the egg stabilize at 500 degrees before you put your pizza on? I wait at least 30 minutes. I also wipe the stone off with a damp rag before and between multiple pizzas (got that tip here in the forum). [p]Steve-B
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Another checking in for platesetter legs down. Even so, not sure how much difference that would make. Try it though. You may be surprised!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I do kinda peak at the crust and rotate during the cook. I am yet to try Chuck`s set up ( invert platesetter , grid, pizza stone ) I saw him do this in Waldorf and it looks like the ultimate way to use these things. I have tried legs down with 3 pieces of firebrick then the stone with good results...as far as your 1/3 more done, rotating the pizza should solve this or try to determiine why your fire is burning unevenly....I seem to see hotter temps in the rear of the egg, maybe you could light it more close to the front initially????? I dont think I have ever had 2 different pizza cooks turn out exactly the same, but I guess thats part of the fun....HTH..not sure which set up I have pictured on my website..[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • usa doug
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I use the inverted plate setter, pizza stone and screens. I see no need to use a grid. I place the plate setter with one leg to the rear. This helps with the hot spot in the rear and I rotate the pizza a quarter turn about every 5 min. to get a even cook. Make sure to heat the mass to temp before starting the cook.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, another believer in the legs down and no grate. I fix pizza every other Saturday or else!!! I also stablize for no less than 30 minutes so my mass is always uniform and I've never had hot/cold spots.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egghead2004
    Options
    Yazoo,
    My thoughts exactly. I have had better results with the platesetter upright(legs down). Then put the pizza stone on top of that. Even then, I only cook @ 400-425 dome temp.

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    usa doug,[p]Yep, I also place a leg a the back also. I always do this for any cooks that that involve a platesetter. Thanks for adding this![p]Steve-B
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    usa doug,
    The idea ( as I understand it ) with using the grid is to avoid any hot spots on the pizza stone from the platesetter heating unevenly...the setup Max was reffering to is..platesetter on the fire ring legs up...cooking grid on top of the legs, then the pizza stone centered on the grid...kinda creates a 3" or so air gap between the platesetter and the stone, with the setter taking all the force of the lump and hopefully the stone coming up to an even temp...hope this makes some kinda sense..I saw Chuck using this set up at Eggfest and it worked extremely well.[p]Wess

• Pigasso
    Pigasso Posts: 111
    Options
    1stPizza.jpg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome, I use a platesetter - legs down, and the pizza stone on top. No grid. I also use a pizza pan which I pace on the pizza stone after I have stabalized the egg at 425 for half an hour. 20ish minutes later - done! This is a spinach and garlic pizza on a whole-wheat crust. We learned to place the garlic on the tomato sauce (under the cheese) to prevent it from burning.

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I use the platesetter legs down and put the pie directly on the platesetter. The egg and platesetter are preheated to a stable 450 for a relatively thin crust pizza. I've never tried using the platesetter, grid and stone on top. Guess I'll give that arrangement a shot.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Well I hate to differ from the crowd but the setup I use is legs up, a grid on the legs, I use a cheap Home Depot/Weber grid, and a BGE pizza stone on the grid. As Wess said I used this setup at Waldorf all day doing the Strombolis, pizzas and garlic knots with, IMO, good results. I don't use any grid below the plate setter, that sits directly on the fire ring. From my experience the approximately 3" air gap that this gives between the setter and the pizza stone gives you a more even stone temp and buffers the stone from the direct heat. I have found this allows you to do more pizzas, strombolis and/or quesadillas in a row without the stone overheating and burning the bottom before the top is done. I know a lot of people wipe there stone with a wet towel to cool it off but I have found the air gap to work better and more consistantly. That being said I do wipe off the stone with a damp paper towel to clean it between cooks. [p]I do check the bottom and occasionally turn it if it is browning slightly uneven. [p]Thanks again for that mushroom/pancetta recipe. I am doing stromboli again tonight with the leftovers. [p]Chuck[p]

• Eggsellent
    Options
    Chuck,
    I have searched all the "fest" recipes and can't find Garlic Knots anywhere. Would you mind posting it for me or pointing me in the right direction as to where I might find it?[p]Thanks!
    Molly

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Chuck,[p]Why the Webber/Home Depot grid instead of the BGE grid sitting on top of the legs? Is it becuse the Webber grid (18.5 inches, I think) has handles so you can lift the grid/stone/pizza combo?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    thanks everybody!!! . . .i'm so used to using my plate setter inverted, it didn't dawn on me to try it with legs down. . .although there is some difference of opinion on this aspect of things. .[p]i will adhere more to the tip of placing one leg (either inverted or otherwise) aimed at the back of the egg. . .i do this on lo and slo's, didn't think about it for pizza. . .[p]i did wait about 45 minutes last night to make sure the egg was good and hot at 500 degrees (particularly since it was in the 'teens at my house. . ..[p]so, next time i'll try [p]1. legs down with pizza stone right on top of the plate setter[p]2. leg of plate setter aimed at the back of the egg. . [p]3. check the crust every few minutes or so and rotate as necessary. . .[p]i'm definitely lookin forward to trying 'pies again. . ..they were really good despite my errors. ..[p]thanks again everyboday
  • Chuck
    Options
    Eggsellent,[p]Here is my recipe for Pizza dough, Garlic Knots and Stromboli. The link is to a thread that GrillMeister posted showing photos of the final product. [p]Enjoy[p]Chuck[p]
    Pizza dough:[p]1 – cup warm water, 105° - 115°
    1-1/2 - tblsp sugar
    1 - package of dry yeast
    3 - cups + bread flour
    3/4 - tblsp salt
    1 - tblsp olive oil[p]
    Mix water, sugar and yeast in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Put flour, salt and olive oil in bread machine or mixer and add fluid. Let rip on dough cycle of bread machine or mix until dough pulls away from side of bowl and let rise for 1 hour. Coat dough with olive oil, cover and proof in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight. [p]This recipe will make two strombolis, two 12” – 14” pizzas, or 30 or 40 garlic knots.[p]Stromboli:[p]1/2- Pizza dough recipe
    3 - tblsp, or to taste, roasted garlic mashed in olive oil
    6 - oz grated mozzarella / provolone cheese blend
    1/4-1/3 lb slicing pepperoni
    Parmesan / Romano cheese blend to taste[p]Roll out dough to 8” X 14”.
    Spread roasted garlic in a wide strip the length of the dough. Evenly spread cheeses leaving ½” plain on the edges.
    Layer pepperoni evenly.
    Roll from long side, don’t roll too tight
    SLIGHTLY moisten edge and pinch tight to seal, do the same with the ends[p]Egg on your pizza setup, you can do two at once, at 450 for 15-20 minutes until nicely browned.[p]I invert my plate setter, put a cooking grid on the inverted legs and place the pizza stone on the grid. IMO this heats the stone more evenly and doesn’t overheat it and burn the crust before the inside is done. This is especially helpful when doing multiple stromboli, quesadilla or pizza cooks. [p]Garlic Knots:[p]1 - pizza dough recipe
    1/2 - cup chopped parsley
    1/2 - head garlic crushed in garlic press
    1/2 - cup olive oil
    Parmesan / Romano cheese blend[p]Mix parsley, garlic and olive oil and let sit for at least 1 hour. Roll out dough to ½” and cut in strips 1” X 4”. Roll slightly and tie in a loose ½ knot. Egg on pizza setup at 450° for 10 -15 minutes until browned. Toss them in bowl with garlic mixture until well coated and then sprinkle with cheese.[p][p][p][p]

[ul][li]Garlic Knots [/ul]
  • Chuck
    Options
    katman,[p]The main reason is they are clean and cheap enough to have a few around. The handles do come in handy at times though. Your regular BGE grid will work just as well. [p]Chuck

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Chuck,
    This sounds like a really good idea. Seems to me the direct heat makes the standard setter/stone combo too hot after a few pies at 500. In order to maintain 500 or more, the fire is roaring. So the first couple pies come out great, then they seem to start burning.[p]Good thinkin. I will give this a try next time. It sounds like it is just what I have been looking for.
    Thanks!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Pakak
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Use a screen too. If you're like me, you're probably resistant to doing this cause, hey, they didn't do it like that in the olden days! True, they didn't, but your egg isn't an exact replica of a REAL pizza oven either! I've had perfectly done crust ever since I started using a screen.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Pakak,
    thx. .. where did you buy yours??

• Pakak
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]After going to a couple different places and NOT finding them I went online. True, I paid as much in shipping as what the screens cost BUT they don't cost that much to start out with. Saved as much on gas, probably! LOL [p]Get at least two. You'll be glad you did. You can have one in the egg while prepping another. Pop the done one out and the new one in.[p]Pizza Supplies and Accessories

• Pakak
    Options
    One more thing ...[p]If ordering from this place, the 14" is what you probably want with a large. It fits perfectly on a 14" BGE pizza stone.

• Eggsellent
    Options
    Chuck,
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]
    I use the platesetter legs down, pizza stone, and a pizza screen. I rotate the screen with the pie, after about 5 minutes. If, near the end of the cook, the top seems like it is getting browned before the bottom, I will pull the screen out, and brown the bottom directly on the pizza stone, with the lid of the egg open, so the top stops cooking, but the bottom browns. I usually cook at about 550.[p]Larry

• Eggsellent
    Options
    Pakak,
    Good tip on the size! We got a screen from a buddy of ours who owns a pizza shop. It's wonderful, but the first time we made pizza we made it to fit the screen - which ended up being a tad bigger than the stone - so the outside of the crust was a little overdone.

• terrafirmay
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I got pizza screens at George's Restaurant supply on Route 1 in Alexandria, near Crystal City. Used 15 inch screens are about two bucks each and are fine. After I saw them, I didn't price the new ones. Now I have to begin making pizza, but that's another post.[p]****

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Brutus,
    This sounds like a good solution too. What an eductional thread.
    Thanks
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Brutus:[p]Do you use spacers between your plate setter and pizza stone?

• djm5x9,[p]No spacers, I put the stone right on the plate setter, and preheat them both. The screen does provide some air between the pie and the stone.[p]Larry

• Colonel Pork Butt
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Let me know when you put a little "Mad Max" light up delivery sign on top of your car, think I'm well within your delivery area! Say, beef, oninon and shrooms?[p]greg