Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mostly OT... Maid Rites

Options
Basscat
Basscat Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think it happens every couple years, probably to most Heartlanders... a Maid Rite craving... It's a loose meat sandwich from Iowa, not quite a sloppy joe, flavored with onions and mustard. Did my best imitation yet, using mostly ground turkey but beefed up with some ground chuck and a pint of Egged onion soup I had in the freezer, and served on a Ciabatta bun. Yum! I suppose I'm due for a Runza craving soon... ;)

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Sandwich, Runzas

phreakingeek, we had a discussion on Runza some time ago. When we did I decied that this is the one I would try on the EGG. Never did, but maybe it'll give you a start:

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 lb Ground beef
    1 Medium Head cabbage, chopped
    4 Onions, thinly sliced
    2 Pkg Yeast
    1/4 cup Water
    2 cup Warm water
    6 Tbs Oil
    5 Tbs Sugar
    1 Tbs Salt
    5 1/2 cup Flour (more if needed)

PROCEDURE:
    1 Brown beef and remove from pan; saute onions in hamburger grease until transparent.
    2 Add cabbage and cooked beef to onions and cook until tender, adding a little water if it gets too dry.
    3 Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    For dough,
    1 soften the 2 pkg yeast in 1/4 cup water.
    2 Add 2 cups warm water, the oil, sugar, and salt.
    3 Add flour until the dough consistency is no longer sticky (but not too stiff).
    4 Let rise until double; punch down and let re-rise (about another hour).
    Assembly
    1 These can truly be made in about any size or shape (appetizer vs.sandwich; round vs. rectangular), so use your own judgment.
    2 Take a piece of dough and roll into a rectangular or round shape, about 1/4" thick.
    3 Add filling, and pinch the edges firmly to seal making sure the filling is totally enclosed.
    4 Flatten slightly, and place on greased cookie sheet or pan, seam-side down.
    5 Let rise again until about double (about 1/2 hour or so).
    6 Bake at 375 or 30 minutes.
    7 If desired, brush with 1 beaten egg mixed with a little water about 15 minutes into baking for a nice golden color.

Yield: 18 sandwiches

Recipe Type
    Sandwich

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Wise One, 2007/02/22
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    yum....love a good Maid-Rite. They were always my Mom's favorite sandwich.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I never had one but it sounds WONDERFUL.Of course all I have eaten today is 1 bananna and several beers! :)
  • Basscat
    Options
    Nebraska is a pretty good place, and there are several things to miss, but i think I miss Runza the most ;-)
    Copied and pasted your suggestion for my next craving, thanks :-) Wish it were drive through, though.... ;-(
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I don't have time tonight but over the years I have perfected my Maid-Rite knock offs and I've even done throw down type comparisons and people can't tell the difference from mine and the ones I buy there! I'll give you my recipe tomorrow after da Bears kick the Pacs butt! BTW my Aunt and Uncle who lived in Iowa personally knew AND did business with the originator/inventor of Maid Rites.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Basscat
    Options
    :-) Awesome! Thanks!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Looking forward to the Maid Rite recipe as well. Saw them featured on Triple D.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • RRP
    Options
    da bears are making this day too painful for me so here's the recipe I promised last night.

RRP’s Maid Rite Knock Off Recipe

If you Google Maid Rite you will find numerous so called recipes that include many spices – even some call for sugar. Years ago I studied most all of them if not all and knew that they were not even close in taste to what I grew up enjoying at various Maid Rite restaurants in Iowa where they were ‘invented” in 1926. They are a franchise operation and thankfully several of them have popped up here in Illinois so I can continue to enjoy them some 55 years later since my love affair of them started.

The key is simplicity, NOT spices and the secret ingredient is chicken broth! Here’s the recipe I have perfected. I have even had a commercial Maid Rite for lunch and then for supper made my own and followed by a commercial Maid Rite for lunch the next day! I swear my recipe is as close to the original in taste and consistency as most people’s palate can differentiate. I’ve even had a throw down with some buddies and they agree!

Ingredients – makes 4 nice sandwiches – if more needed keep the proportions in same relation:
    ¾ pound of ground chuck 80% lean
    10 oz Swanson Chicken Broth in a box – NOT the can stuff, nor from bullion cubes – just the boxed Swanson brand broth

See I told you it was simple! In case you want to experiment then you’re on your own, but I have found adding pepper, or garlic powder or onion powder will all mess up the taste and it will not taste like commercial Maid Rites!

Pour the broth into a pan and heat it on medium to a tad warmer

In a separate skillet brown the meat and chop it ever so fine

Drain the fat! This is a must do step!

Add the heated broth to the meat and let them simmer together until the broth has evaporated and the beef has become soft and moist so I stir a few times. I also use a screen splatter cover to keep the splatters down for ease of clean up.

When broth has evaporated salt to taste and it’s ready to serve!

The point of my recipe is to replicate the meat in a Maid Rite. Personally I just like a smear of yellow mustard on my bun, but it’s up to you for what condiments you like! I believe “everything” on the commercial Maid Rite is the smear of mustard on the bottom bun, some chopped onions and 2 or 3 slices of dill pickle. OTOH if you want a slice of cheese that they charge extra for then go for it!

Enjoy!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Basscat, when I had my first MaidRite, I wasn't impressed. But dang if they didn't grow on me. Now I stop by the one in Greenville, OH whenever I'm in the neighborhood.....even if it makes me late for a meeting. These are some pics from my cell phone.

Picture015.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture029.jpg
  • Basscat
    Options
    Thanks! I'll give it a try next time.
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe and PM reminder. Gotta try it someday.
    Member since 2009
  • Hoss
    Options
    Is that a 1/4 pound of meat for 4 sandwiches or 1/4 pound per sandwich??? :huh:
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - no I start with .75 of a pound of meat in total which makes 4 nice sandwiches with plenty of spillage so they are each a little less than 1/4 pound!
    Options
    Eenie Meenie put diced onions and pickles on his, with the yeller mustard on the other side. You don't like 'em like that RRP?
    Member since 2009
  • Hoss
    Options
    O.K. That makes sense. :)
  • Hoss
    Options
    eeniee meenie is a she. ;)
  • RRP
    Options
    The point of my recipe was to replicate the meat. Except for the smear of mustard I purposefully stopped as for saying what condiment to add - figured each person knows how they like their Maid Rites. I believe "everything" is just a smear of mustard on the bun base, some chopped onions and some dill slices - and if you want a slice of cheese then that too for an extra charge.
  • RRP
    Options
    yup - a she and a Doctor so don't go messin with the lady! She might say bend over :laugh: :woohoo: