Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not around much, still not walking

JBUG99999
JBUG99999 Posts: 263
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I haven't been online much lately because I'm still not walking. I had foot surgery 12/15, and then fell on 12/30 and re-broke the foot (yes, the same one I had just had fixed). I went to see the surgeon on Monday, as I was supposed to be getting the pins removed. Unfortunately, he said they weren't "ready" and the fracture had not begun forming a callous, so I was sent home and continue to be non-weight bearing. I haven't been walking in over five weeks, with no end in sight, so to say I'm bummed out is an understatement.

Add to that, I'm flying to Texas for school next Friday (long weekend on campus, I'm in a distance ed Masters program). I'm sure TSA and hobbling through the airport is going to be peachy fun. :angry:

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Julie:

Sorry to hear you're not up and about still...hopefully Mr. JBUG99999 is cooking some good food for you!

Make sure it does heal properly so you can get around at the SunShine State EggFest!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Sorry to hear about the setback. TSA won't have a problem with the pins just don't take more than 3 ounces of shampoo :huh: :P
    Hope your well for the Sunshine fest
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    BUMMER! Sorry to hear about that.I hope you have a speedy recovery from this point on.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Julie, That sucks!! I'm sorry for the rebreak. Remember, I had surgery on both feet at the same time. It was me and my 10 y/o son. Humbling, for certain. You can do this!! I had to learn to accept help from frineds. In the end I counted my blessings. Hang tough lady!! In my prayers.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Julie, My brother, in the auto biz, gave me a ( I don't know the name) rolling thing they use. Not the lay on ones. The ones that you sit on and it has a 'tray' under the seat and wheels. Even in the hard cast's, I could use my heels to drive, and the tray to carry things form room to room. That was of substantial help for me to get around.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I do empathize with you.

From a motorcycle accident I went multi-trauma by helicopter to Vanderbilt University Hospital back in 1991. I compound fractured my left leg in two places and fractured it in four other places. I went non union for greater than a year. I had 3 bone graphs and the first two did not take and the last one did (self donor). Then the last donor site of the bone graph took staph infection MRSA. Didn't even tell you about my other compound wrist fractures or ribs...Hope I made you feel better. ;) Tim
  • HI Julie, check your email!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    So sorry for you. Busted ankle last March and that was no fun. Feel bad for you :(
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JBUG99999
    Thanks, Jay! Kasey has been very good about firing up the Egg solo and helping to keep us fed. I WILL be walking by the Fl Egg fest, or :woohoo: I'll be crazy by then
  • JBUG99999
    Not worried about the pins, I can't get around without the walker scooter thing and it's mostly metal. How will I make it through the metal detector with my wheels? Try to balance or hop on one foot isn't very safe, certainly don't want to fall again...
  • Hang in there, Julie and Mr. Jbug. So sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope it gets better real soon.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • JBUG99999
    Molly, thanks for the inspiration and encouragement. I appreciate it! I am using a knee walker to get around with, because I have to go to work. I can get around, it is not easy, it is physically exhausting. I've been trying to check the forum via my phone, but I'm not so good at that, and the computer is at the other end of the house, so I just don't get online like I used to.

Tim, thanks for sharing your story. I know this is tiny in comparison to things like that. Certainly hope my fractures heal, I'll be nuts with a nonunion! I can't even think about that!

Thanks again everyone for your words of encouragement. I will try to keep in better touch.
  • Julie -

I sympathize. I fell and broke my arm last winter and then had a set back with a tendon rupturing that left me pretty much one-armed for most of the first quarter I am now also facing some sort of knee rehabilitation (diagnosis TBD) for some severe knee pain.

keep the faith - you will recuperate and feel better.

It just takes a little time!
  • Sorry to hear about your mobility problems. It wasn't that long ago I had a similar problem. Knee surgery. Sure cramps your style but you recover quickly.

Where are you flying to in Texas?

Spring "Get-a-bout Got-up-'n-left" Chicken
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    :(

Call ahead and request a wheelchair to meet you at beginning and end of trip. For one thing, you'll get thru security much easier. If you can't go through without the wheelchair or scooter, you'll have to get wanded or patted down, but it still shouldn't be a big deal and should be easier and faster than trying to do it on your own. I flew with wheelchair assist last time I came to Eggtoberfest and it was much easier than trying to do it on my own. Be forewarned that the guys who push the wheelchairs will expect tips.

Sorry about the multiple broken feet!
  • JBUG99999
    Thanks, Gwen. I'm going to call the airlines and the airport today to check into that. When I called the first time, they said they did not make those arrangements in advance. But, after talking to people, it seems they do (or at least did!).

Thanks everyone for thinking of me. It helps knowing others have done similar (and worse!) and made it ok. It's just physically and mentally draining.
  • JBUG99999
    Spring Chicken,

Flying into Dallas Fort Worth airport, then driving about two hours to Wichita Falls, TX to Midwestern State University. I've been flying back/forth for school a little over a year now. I fly in January and May, and then I don't go back until graduation day. I'm really looking forward to being finished (at least with the Masters, will worry about the Doctorate another time). I'm a little over loaded right now.