Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Start EGG with Dome open?

Options
wmd36
wmd36 Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Should I leave the dome open on the EGG for a while or shut it right away after a few pieces get lit?

Comments

• Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Shut it with top and bottom wide open
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I leave it open til I see some flames. Then I close the lid and clamp down the vents when the temperature is 50 degrees away from the target temp. I am usually in a hurry and the closed dome way takes too long for me!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if you are doing a low-and-slow, AND have the starter cubes, you will be better off starting dome open for a bit, because those cubes tend to snuff out with low air flow. they will then smolder and produce a lot of waxy white smoke (which is obvious in its not-so-great smellitudiness).

if you are lighting it any other way, best to shut the dome, establishing draft early.

for me, the starter cubes (or chunks of fire log, like i used to use) skate too close to going out and simply smoldering. your fire will actually still start fine, but it will take a long time to burn off the starter cubes. and that smoke takes a long while to clear.

dome open, it gets good air. use fewer starter cubes, too, if you are doing a low and slow. that helps limit the smoke
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stevesails
    Options
    I have found that the fire will get burning nicely, if i leave the dome open for about 10 minutes.
    I have a xl, your results my vary.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I light my BGE in 3-4 spots with my MAPP torch. I leave the egg open for 5-10 minutes, then close the lid and close vents to their desired location & temps...ready to cook in about 20 minutes usually... after "bad" smoke has cleared... :)
  • EggerFromIowa
    Options
    I tend to leave mine open in the winter time for a good 20 minutes. But in the summer I close it once the fire gets going. For some reason, I have a difficult time getting my fire going at 10 degrees Fahrenheit.:) With the lid open, I can watch it from the kitchen.
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    I use one starter cube broken into two pieces. Lid, bottom and top wide open for about 10 minutes. Close the lid and start adjusting both vents as target temp approaches. As far as I can tell,cold temps makes no measureable impact on startup.
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 86
    Options
    I have been lighting my egg using alcohol lately. It seems to work just as well as a MAPP, and my wife does not mind lighting the egg this way. She did not like using the torch. The only thing that I do different than in the video is that I punch a small hole in the foil cover of the alcohol bottle with a tooth-pick, and just squirt the alcohol onto the lump directly from the bottle. Here is the link if you wish to try this method.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=821771&catid=1#
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I use an electric starter or olive oil soaked paper towels. On a hotter fire, I tend to leave open to get the fire going good, and then shut down after the flames start. If I'm doing a low and slow cook, I tend to shut it down pretty quick so the temp doesn't spike. Like one of the others
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    LIDBLOCK1.jpg

Even though this picture shows stuff cooking, I also block the lid open about this far when I'm starting the fire.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery