Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting Up

Options
James
James Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Haven't seen anyone discuss the duraflame wedges, and wanted to let everyone know how well the duraflame quick start firelighter wedges work. They are inexpensive (around $2), and come in this big brick. You just pull a little chunk off each time to start the egg. I have been using the same one for several months now and find it to be the cheapest item that works. (Saving up for that Mapp Torch you know.)
-J

Comments

• I use some small fire starting camping sticks that I think are made of the same stuff. They seemed to be a lot easier to cut up and put into a bag. I have no problems starting fires with them at all. They are called Coghlan's Fire Sticks. But at $2 a log I might try a Duraflame log and see how long it takes to cut it up.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    James,
    I dont' know what brand they are, but my neighbor gave me a box of fireplace starters. They are about 1" x 1" x 6" and I break off (in the winter, chisel off) about a 1" piece and they work great. They are wax and sawdust, so nothing too offensive in there.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • I have a gas grill that was never getting used so I found a way to put it to use. I put my lump into a charcoal chimney, put two pieces of news paper under the bottom and set it on my lit gas grill. Gets the lump red hot fast! I then poor it into the BGE and add more lump. I'm cooking in no time. It was a waiste to see that gas grill sit there and rust, now it's used on a weekly basis.
  • Sorry, I didn't put my name in the last post. I'm new here, go easy on me.
  • James
    Options
    pepperhead,
    You will definately like the results of the duraflame. Just make sure you get the "firelighter wedges" and not one of the logs for the fireplace. If you look on the back, it shows someone lighting a bbq with it, so I know it is safe.

• James
    Options
    I used to use the newspaper and the chimney, but the black smoke and bits of paper flying about made me look for a cleaner less smoky option. Try the duraflame firelighter wedges, they are clean and work great.
    James

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    hunkerdownuga,
    The chimney is a good way to get a bunch of charcoal lit quick, and may be a help for Eggsters who are going to TRex some steaks. A chimney is pretty much the only way to go with charcoal briquettes.[p]For longer, lower temp cooks using lump, it's better to light the lump from the top and let the fire spread out and down over time. You could add lump from your chimney on top of un-lit lump and get things going that way, too, I would think, rather than pour new lump over the coals from the chimney.[p]Bob

• Smokin in Hiawassee,[p]Is this the Hiawassee in Northern Georgia? I sure love that area and have spent several weeks there over the years. Nice place with lots to do. [p]Dave

• Yes, Hiawassee Ga. I love it here!
  • James
    Options
    James,[p]In case you didn't see my previous post, Your handle is already in use by me. Please select another one.[p]
  • James
    Options
    Will the real James please stand up?