Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Egg

Options
nysportsfan
nysportsfan Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm the griller of the family, but have never smoked a thing. I have been itching to get a smoker for some time, and not long ago stumbled on the Egg. Needless to say, I'm a soon to be owner of an BGE.

I'd like to buy a BGE, but not break the bank. I was hoping to score one off Craigslist, but they still command $1k with everything. The guy's setup is pretty sweet, as it a large and comes with custom wood long table with heavy duty castors, BGE long table cover, plate setter, daisy wheel, regular and cast iron grates, rib rack, and cleaning tools. Great condition, 9 months old. im asking $1000.

Any thoughts? I probably shouldn't even entertain it at that price right now, but Craigslist is slim pickings as they just never pop up. Thoughts? I also read about picking one up after an Eggfest, but they are still pretty expensive and I didn't see any in NJ.

Thanks, and I look forward to becoming an Egghead sooner rather than later.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Where you located? Look around for an eggfest near you and then get a good deal from the sponsor that weekend.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Way too much for a used, non-warranted egg. IMO, anyway. As Richard said... check out eggfest prices. Good deals and you get a lifetime warranty.

Go Yanks!!! The ONLY NY sport! :) And welcome to the forum!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    Way too much for a used, non-warranted egg. IMO, anyway. As Richard said... check out eggfest prices. Good deals and you get a lifetime warranty.

Go Yanks!!! The ONLY NY sport! :) And welcome to the forum!

This.

I've seen then on CL for around $300 for a large. Had eggsessories too. I can't recall if it came with a table. I emailed the link to some friends, but not sure if anyone got it. Otherwise I've seen them for around $600.

Good luck.
  • BigDaddy65
    Options
    Agree this is too much for used. Check your local Ace Hardware the one near me has a 20% off sale in May and Nov and it applied to the eggs. This may not be the case in all areas but worth asking.
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    I agree; prob too close in price to retail to want to buy used with no warantee. Nearest fest is maybe New Hampshire? which I think is in June. Might be worth the drive - come up- enjoy a fest ( lodging and nice campground very reasonable) ...go home with new egg. ;)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Have you tried the dealer search function on the
    BGE home page to see if any dealers might be having a demo cook and might just have a demo egg available?
    Long shot I know . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    http://www.bubbatim.com/Green_Book.php

That may interest you. Your best bet is to call around or go to an Eggfest. FYI, prices are increasing in February.

To me that sounds very high.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    $1000...NO WAY! :angry: Visit the green book page and see what a fair price is! http://bubbatim.com/Green_Book.php If you want a new egg, go to a fest. New eggs come with a lifetime warranty. Keep on looking and wait for the right deal. Good luck.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    Yea let me know the dealer info.

JT
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Wow, this place is fast! my phone just about blew up! I thought it was a bit high. I just don't think that many people use BGEs in Northern NJ. By the time I drive to NH and do the lodging and fuel, I might as well buy a new one lol.

I will keep my eye out. If anyone wants to get in touch with me for deals and whatnot, please do so. I will call Ace, BGE dealers, etc to see if they have demo deals. And the price raise in Feb stinks!
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I don't know how far you are from Waldorf MD, but the original EGGfest is held there in May each year. I know you could probably hold out till then but why should you. I say contact your local dealer, and try and work a deal with them. It is the dead of winter up there and he/she may be primed to move out a little stock this time of year.
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Understandable... But you can't value the eggcitement of fest! :lol: :woohoo:
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    sorry, posted in the wrong place... wine
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    In the end, it doesn't matter what you pay for your egg. You will more than double that in eggcessories. Just buy it and be done with it. You wont be sorry.
    Bob
    Long Beach, MS
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I am going to back up what Bob said. It is one of those things where if you are willing to spend $1000 what is an extra $200? Obviously your kids are not starving otherwise you would not be in the market for an egg. I will tell people at eggfests it is like buying a car without air conditioning when you live in Texas - Why the hell wouldn't you spend the extra cash to be comfortable, especially when it is not that much considering you are spending X amount on the item itself.

If you can hold out and/or will travel an eggfest is your best bet. Otherwise keep an eye out and check out potential dealers. You may walk in and find a special or something. Keep your eyes on the forum too, people post stuff like that from time to time.

Good luck brother - whatever you do it will be worth it.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Here is a large in Long Branch NJ for $600 with nest and a couple accessories. Talk him down to $500 and it will be a decent deal.

Anyone that has an iphone and likes craigslist craigspro is a great App. It allows you to choose the whole state rather than search city by city. It also lets you search every major US city at the same time.

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/app/2165560151.html
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    I emailed this guy, but will do so again.

I am going to have to call the dealerships, there are a few near Paramus, I think.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Another large was just posted 4 hours ago for $300 in central jersey.
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Thanks! I just emailed this guy offering full price...pending pictures and a visit. Hope its still there.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Good luck, NYsportsfan. I bought a large off of Craigs list for $250 ~ I wasn't worried cause I am a long time egg owner and that $250 egg has been just wonderful to cook on. Just go for it! See you at a fest sometime!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Modern Propane, a store near me, has brand new L eggs for $679, and the nest for $79. Is this a good price? The $500 craigslist one was rusty, and the $300 one did not get back to me. I really like the idea of a lifetime warranty B)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i paid 650 about 7 years ago, no nest.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    That's a great price. pretty much the same as a fest discount.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'd say that's a pretty good price. About a year and a half ago, I paid $819 for my large. Included a nest, CI grid, platesetter, pizza stone, ash tool and a few bags of lump and hickory chunks. You might try to get him to throw in a couple of extras, but I'm pretty sure the price has gone up since I bought mine so he may balk. Then again, there's still 2 feet of snow on the ground in North Jersey - CAN'T be too many folks beating down his door to buy an egg! :laugh: Worth askin' anyway.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nysportsfan
    Options
    That's true. The guy on the phone said, "We've got the best prices in town, I'll guarantee it." I don't doubt him, but I will see if he might do a package deal for a bunch of stuff. Might head over there tomorrow.
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    I live in New Eggland and had wanted a BGE for years. I had 3 grills ( smoker, Gas and Webber Charcoal) used the Webber mostly. In Sept I bought a BGE (looked on crags list for 3 months and nothing). I paid 750 for egg and nest. Bought a fee Eggcessories plate setter, Mates,Rib Rack. Best 1k I spent. I cook on that 5 nights a week. For Xmas I got a small BGE. Buy one from your dealer and add Eggasessoris as you can afford to. Just my .02.
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, and will likely heed that as I go over to the store today. I am going to look at the medium. Although less than ideal, I may be moving in the next year and the new place may only have a small deck (if any at all :( ) so I want to take that into consideration.

I have some Gift Cards left over from Christmas/birthday so that should help defray the cost ;)
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Go for it, mediums are great. Decent cooking size, kind of portable if you are pretty strong.