Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BUTT HELP needed

Options
Eggvis
Eggvis Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, here's the scenario....
8lb butt on at 220 last night at 10pm.....it's now 7:00pm and the temp is 154...have 12 ppl coming btwn now and 8:00pm. I just bumped the temp up to 290-300 to try and speed things up....ant suggestions will be gold to me![p]Paul

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    eggvis, I would pull the butt, slice the butt, and then chop. 220° was too low to cook a butt in 24 or less. If they are coming at 8:00; it will not go through the plateau that fast. My 2¢.

• Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    Options
    sigmore,
    i'm giving it until 8pm, then i may have to resort to that...thanks....all the recipes and posts say 2-2 1/2 hrs per lbd at 220 or so. what should I have cooked it at?

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    eggvis,
    Are you measuring dome temp or rack temp? For me, rack temp is about 20° lower. Wrapping in foil and raising the temp will speed up the cooking rate, but you may loose the nice bark. It's best to wait until you are through the plateau though.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    eggvis,[p]Wrapping it in foil will cook it faster without losing as much moisture, but it's getting late now I guess. As far as cook temps, I don't know what setup you're using, but when I use an inverted platesetter setup, I go with a dome temp of 250.
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    eggvis,
    I always have good results when I creep up to around 250° and keep it there.