Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

60-Day Steak, 60-mins Football, 60 miles of misery

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First the steak...
here's what's left of the 22 pound rib eye i tossed into the fridge on the 18th of November (for the Christmas Roast)

60-day-roast.jpg

The knife cut is where I split a steak off of it, to eat while tailgating at the Patriots/Jets playoff game.
I carved it off right along the bone and slipped between the little bits of bone at the near end. There's no need to cut thru the bones, although you end up with a really thick steak. in this case, it's really a roast. almost 2.5 pounds.

60-day-steak.jpg

the steak was far better than the game. 60 minutes of lack-luster frustration. The Patriots laid down, and never once had anything going. The Jets deserved to win that one. I think Bill was 10-0 in the playoffs at one point in his career. They have lost the last four in a row. Ah well. It would have been nice to have them in the superbowl again. that would be 5 times in ten years. not to be. Playoffs have been marked by upsets. crazy year.

...but that was not the worst thing to happen. The oil light came on about 10 miles from the stadium. no oil pressure. My wife, the trooper, drove down to meet us in my car (i was driving hers to the game when it died). She rode back home with a friend in their car, and I continued to the game with my buddy in the car she had driven. The DOA car (no oil pressure) was towed to the garage.

On the way home from the game, listening to the sports radio guys try to explain what happened, the SECOND car dropped its rear suspension. Two cars, both crapped out in one day.

I would drink heavily, but the walk to the liquor store is too far.

A few shots from the storm last week. Officially we got 20 inches. this was about 8:30 the next day, still snowing. Had about 6 more hours of snow (about four inches more) after this.

clearing-the-car.jpg

Panorama2_small.jpg

Panorama1_small.jpg
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• I hear ya on the misery. There are so many plays that you could point to and say, "There that play cost us the game." They just looked awful.

Your steaks look great.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Bummer.Pretty pics though.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I just replied to a different post and while refreshing I was thinking about you and yesterdays football game. Last night while you were out of the forum we guessed you were at the game chewing on your nails, pulling your hair out... :woohoo:

To bad about two cars in one day taking a crap. Man you sure get the snow. You must get a workout every snow event when you want to drive somewhere.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Ouch. Two cars down..... I guess your gonna have to come out of semi retirement now for a few weeks :>)
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Wow, sorry and more sorry! What a day :( Is an aged steak really that much better? Oh, and...I guess this means you are rooting for the steelers, now, right? :lol:;) beautiful pics btw. ;)
  • stike
    you could point to EVERY play. hahaha

there was a dude behind us with his wife... he kept saying stuff to her like "ok, all they need is a kick-off return, then an on-side kick recovery followed by a hail-mary TD with a two-point conversion, followed by a safety, and we are all set. there's plenty of time" :laugh:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    the football seasons over, you must be talking about next year :blink: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    the steak saved the day. oh, and i pulled out a half dozen oysters for us to eat and began shucking them. my buddy said "you can have them, i'm not a big fan". i felt bad, but he said "you get credit for thinking of them though." so i got the credit for bringing them, while also eating them all. helps take the sting out
  • fishlessman
    thats not a good day, took 30 hours for the food poisoning to kick in after i ate a piece off that roast, least you still have something to look forward too :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    The same here Michael...Now we can get some sleep.We should all be proud that our teams got this far.

Larry
  • YB
    Thats the same thing I said watching Falcons game Jeff.LOL

Larry
  • stike
    even a bad game is fun to go to. yeah. that sucked though.

i was worried this morning that if i didn't post something soon (we were trying to finagle a loaner car from the dealership, and i was talking to my buddy, a mechanic, about the second car) that some jets fans here would be thinking i was sulking in bed with the sheets over my head.

"if i don't post on the forum they'll think i am hiding :laugh:
  • stike
    yah. just paid quarterly taxes, too. looks like i will have to work this month. dammit!
  • fishlessman
    ill never understand rooting for another team :laugh: can see rooting against a team :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    stike wrote:
    you could point to EVERY play. hahaha

there was a dude behind us with his wife... he kept saying stuff to her like "ok, all they need is a kick-off return, then an on-side kick recovery followed by a hail-mary TD with a two-point conversion, followed by a safety, and we are all set. there's plenty of time" :laugh:

haha... that sounds like me every bills game :)

sorry to hear about the cars. what are the odds of that. beef looks great.
    context is important :)
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    It could be worse. You could be a Chiefs fan, or as we like to call them New England lite.
  • stike
    WWSis wrote:
    Is an aged steak really that much better?
    :ohmy:
    Oh, and...I guess this means you are rooting for the steelers, now, right? :lol:)

it's the only way i WOULD root for the steelers.

hahaha
  • YB
    I agree 100%...When my team is done you can stick a fork in me because I'm done also.

Larry
  • stike
    hahaha
    could have been the pancetta. :whistle:
  • stike
    hahaha
    a satellite team. heck, it even took Adam Vinatieri to get the Colts in a position to win. :laugh:
  • stike
    what really stunk was that they were my buddy's tickets. i had pooched it and didn't get my playoff tickets in time. so i was really worried about making him miss the game...
  • stike
    what happened to the falcons? yikes...

i was glad they were out of it, because they were an unknown for the Patriots. but that's more than a little moot, now :laugh:
  • YB
    All I can say is we got beat...no wait a minute...we got stomped.I have been saying this for 25 years...there is always next year.

Larry
  • Yeah, he forgot that the defense also had to stop them too. :laugh:

This was a bad weekend. Both Boston College QB's lost and the Pats. Plus, I can't stand the Steelers. Basically, every team I cheer for lost. Something that didn't escape my notice prior to the Pats game kicking off. :(
  • fishlessman
    until the redsox finally won, whole generations said that over and over again. i never said i was going to a redsox game, always said i was going to fenway :laugh: with the patriots though, we can say rebuilding year cause thats what it was :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    would be just wrong to root for the steelers, jets,or greenbay, maybe that other team, will hafta see who that is :whistle::whistle: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    i knew what happened to them, i was saying "what happened?!?!?!" :blink: didn't expect a blow out

ah well.
  • stike
    my two sons lost their intramural games too.
    bad day all 'round :laugh:
  • Larry,
    TB, Diane and I would gladly make room on the Steeler Bandwagon for you. You are qualified in 2 out of 3 categories. You can cook and you can drink. :):)
    Joe
  • YB
    Thanks Joe but I am a one team person...But I will eat and drink with you and Diane.
    Larry