Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elk it or Not.... Its whats for Dinner....

Options
oldfishinglure
oldfishinglure Posts: 235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
11%206%3A29%3A15%20PM.jpg11%206%3A31%3A10%20PM.jpg11%206%3A29%3A46%20PM.jpg11%206%3A30%3A22%20PM.jpg11%206%3A30%3A47%20PM.jpg
11%206%3A22%3A56%20PM.jpg

Just when I though tonight would be boring at the table. The she wolf and units off too the inlaws house. I got to work in a few episodes of "The Pacific" since the pak arent old enough to watch it. When she returned I thought well Ill toss on a few beef tenderloin steaks...Got too rumaging around in the freezer...Low and behold I had forgotten (possibly due to alcohol level when the gift was recieved)about the wifes boss bringing us some elk tenderloin steaks from this fall's trip to Colorodo...Pak mules and all...well I wont get into the story of the elk...Other than it tasted good....You can certianly see the diff in color of fresh vs store bought...Anyhow I hope all the pics post. I normally dont post...SOrry for the low quality pics they are from wifes iphone.

Matt (The Smoking Mailman)

11%206%3A33%3A18%20PM.jpg
www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    elks as good as it gets :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • oldfishinglure
    Options
    I can say your right it was great. Just spronkled with a bit of salt pepper, and a splash of lee n perrins, a dash of DP raising the steaks...In the 14 years Ive owned my egg Ive never done Elk ... So it was a first for me...Loved it...Wife....Well....She hung in there ate the steak and a half a piece of Elk. I wont complain more for me...Now I need to work my way back into his freezer on the next trip over to his house for more...

Matt

11%206%3A33%3A18%20PM.jpg
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    average elk is better than great beef ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GW
    GW Posts: 98
    Options
    Looks great. I did the same exact thing last night for thk kiddos. Wife and I had domestic (Fillet & NY Strip). Elk is as good as it gets. I'm sure you all saw the pics Missipi Egger posted from Loney Fest with the Elk Tenderloin. I had held onto that last one for a specical occasion! Can't buy that stuff at Costco.

Appreciate the pics..... glad to know someone else enjoys the fruits of hunting :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i find when you are serving people stuff like elk, rabbit, etc. it's best to tell them AFTER. :laugh:

people are only human, they like what they like, and dislike what they THINK they dislike.

at christmas, my sister in law asked what i did to the roast that made it so good. i told her just salt and pepper. she said "really, that's all?" and so i told her it was in the fridge for a month unwrapped. she couldn't take back :laugh: her rave review.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante