Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gonna try something different

Options
Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a small (just under 4 lbs.) bone-in pork butt that I'm about to begin marinating in peach salsa. Has anyone ever done this? I haven't, but it sounds good. I've never done one this small, either. [p]I'm assuming I'd still do it indirect on an elevated grid at about 225-230, right? I can't tell you how long it's been since I've done anything but a quick cook, but I'm going to make the time this weekend.[p]
Good long weekend to all.[p]Mike[p]

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    I too, am trying something different. I read about pulled beef and chuck roast, so I popped on down to Sam's and bought two big old 2" thick hunks of chuck roast. I put some Dizzy Pig coarse grind on one, plopped the other on top, covered the whole thing in rub, tied it up with string and voila, a beef pork butt! Well, that's the theory. Stacking the two into a roast should allow a longer cook, so we shall see.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]
    Cool! Let us know.

• Mark from Utah
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    What grill temp and meat temp are you shooting for. Are you cooking it just like a pork butt? Thanks, Mark

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mark from Utah,
    I'm cooking at 230, going for an internal temp of 200 or so, just like a butt. The meat has been at 140 degrees for a very very very long time so I guess the plateau on this puppy is a bit lower than on a pork butt. In any event, I think I'm gonna have to crank it up later because we are eating this puppy (hmmmm, dog on the mind) at 7 come hell or high water. I planned to cook to 180 then wrap in foil until 200. We'll see.....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz, what condition is your puppy's condition in?