Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wife Doesnt Like Smoke Taste of Chicken - Options?

Options
quickdraw
quickdraw Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm new to the egg. I haven't cooked much on charcoal, but I'm starting to like this grill more than my gas grill.

I cooked some boneless /skinless chicken breasts on the egg indirectly using the platesetter. They had a heavy smoked taste after 35-40 mins and were perfectly cooked. I was using BGE charcoal.

My wife did not like the "smokey" taste. I know that I can cook direct with the dome open (already done that to redeem myself). What are my other options?

Is there a way to make the flavor less smokey? Should I be proactive and try to change the taste of the smoke with some wood chunks?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Always cook with the dome closed.

Let the fire burn for about 30 minutes before you add any food if you want a "clean" burn. If you want a completely clean burn use fresh lump and let it go for an hour before you put the food on.

Adding wood chips will make the matter worse for your wife.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    its a rookie mistake. light egg. let it burn until the smoke smells clean, waft it over to your nose with your hand, dont want you to burn your eyes sticking your face over the dome, smells clean, your good to go. better yet, let your wife learn to do it, it desensitizes her to smoke. after a while you learn the smell, smells bad, tastes bad, smells good, tastes good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BillHill
    BillHill Posts: 109
    Options
    Do what the others said, as well as use some sort of drip catcher to keep the juice from burning on your platesetter.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    dont know what temp they were cooked ar, but hotter/ quicker is better, faster, less smokey, raise the grill, the dome heat will also cook them faster so get closer to it
    fukahwee maine

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    What everybody said plus leave the top off completely. Just adjust the temp with the lower vent.
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    Trade to wife in for one who likes the smokey taste of BGE food? :woohoo:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That's gonna be some EXPENSIVE food!! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    If you weren't using wood chunks or chips then, as others have said, you probably just didn't wait long enough for the bad smoke to clear. The lump by itself imparts very little smoke flavor.

If you do use wood chunks/chips with chicken do it sparingly and stick with the milder types such as cherry or even maple. I prefer pecan for poultry but that will probably be too strong for your wife's tastes. Definitely don't use hickory or mesquite on poultry as that will overpower.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • ranger ray
    Options
    she just has not learned to appreciate the smell of a real wood fire.... she probably has been eating food cooked with the by products of hydro carbons( aka propane gas).... all of her life...it's an adjustment she will quickly adapt too...especially if you use some cherry or apple wood.... rr
  • quickdraw
    Options
    That would be very expensive.

She does like beef and lamb so far.
  • quickdraw
    Options
    OK - I think I've learned a lot.

- 30 mins to an hour of burn time to get a clean burn
    - Fresh lump when possible
    - Drip pan for the platesetter so the drippings don't burn

I will give it a try next time.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    its the top one, when it smells good go for it, chicken is good right over the coals, you want that lump burning clean, smell it, you will learn. burns clean, smells clean, taste clean. i try to cook all the same parts at one time, different parts, different temps. chicken was my most difficult cook when i stated cooking with an egg. you either want to cook it whole, or cook one part like breasts or wings or just thighs. thighs are really good to practice on
    fukahwee maine

• mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    if you let the lump burn clean you will not taste any smoke, heres a pie i cooked and there was no smoke taste.IMAG0151.jpg
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    A couple friends of ours don't like much of a smoke taste, so for them I always use Hasty Bake brand lump. It imparts about zero smokey taste to foods. You might consider placing a few small foil balls between your plate setter and the drip pan. This will further reduce the chance burning the drippings.
    For something like breasts, a direct cook is quick and easy...and fast, which will reduce the time the poultry can absorb a smokey taste.
    If none of this works then you might try coating the cooked chicken with a 1/8 inch thick layer of LaBomba hot sauce. I've never tasted any but from what people on this forum claim.....Yowza!!!
    Good luck, and remember, you soon will be able to make dishes your wife will clamor for.