Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Cast Iron Grid

Options
impag10
impag10 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any tips or secrets to cooking steak on it?

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Hot and fast!

No secrets...if you have cooked steaks on a regular grid, keep doing the same thing.
  • impag10
    impag10 Posts: 66
    Options
    sounds good! thanks
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    There should be a flat side and a pointy side.Use the pointy side for steak and things you flip with tongs and the flat side for burgers and things you flip with a spatcula.The flat side of the bars make it way easier to slide a spatula under whatever you are cooking.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Are you using a spider or is it at normal height? If it is down in the lump get long tongs or some welding gloves so you don't burn yourself.

Also flip the steak to a hot/unused part of the grid if possible. Figure out a cycle where the spot you start gets hot enough by the time you need it when you flip or make a quarter turn for those grill marks.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Well, I just bought one today. Heated it in the oven to 200 degrees and cured it with olive oil (per the dealer). Then grilled some t-bone/porterhouse (pointy side up) using the TRex's Strip Steak Method. Best steak I have ever cooked.

With anything cast iron, you need to cure it with some kind of oil after cleaning and before cooking...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    smbishop wrote:
    With anything cast iron, you need to cure it with some kind of oil after cleaning and before cooking...

No you don't. I have been using mine at least 3-4 times a week since August '09. Haven't cleaned or oiled it even once. I brush the heavy crusted on stuff off once in a while, but that's it. Usually don't even bother with that. No rust, no stick, no problem.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smbishop
    Options
    Well, that is good to know! Thanks!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    See my pic in the Rutland Gasket thread. Pretty much what my CI grid always looks like.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smbishop
    Options
    I will, I appreciate the info. Love this forum!
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Michael, has yours cracked yet? Was doing a steak a few weeks ago and heard a loud "pop" coming from the egg. One of the cross pieces had cracked. It has now fallen out and the grid looks like a two year old kid with missing teeth :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Yep, two of 'em. First one lost a chunk, second one just cracked in one spot around the rim so at a glance, it looks whole. I can see the crack, but no pieces fell off. Apparently that provided enough stress relief so it has been fine for quite a while. Both were replaced under warranty. The third one is still in it's plastic bag, but I imagine it will crack within the first couple of weeks. The others did.

Unless... wonder if cutting a notch or two around the rim of a new one would prevent this. Both of mine cracked there, not in the middle. Has anyone done that? Did it work?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut