Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BIG PROBLEM - NEED HELP ASAP

texas_archer
texas_archer Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, cooked a pizza on the XL tonight for the wife and I but after taking the pizza off the grill the lid would not close straight. When pulling the lid down it pulls to the right. I checked all bolts and they are all tight, but there is no way to get the lid to close to put out the charcoal. So, any suggestions on how to put the coals out so I can work on this thing? ITS HOT, 550 degrees, and my gasket is now gone almost.

I know I can spray it with water, but Im afraid that a rapid cool woudl break the ceramic. Salt? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

dsm

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I would just let it burn itself out. Gasket is toast anyway and you don't want to be messin' with 500° stuff.

DO NOT use water!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    those bolts in the back that the hinge system 'pivots' on need to be loose enough so they don't bind. Pretty sure that's what happens every time an XL gets all jammed up.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    texas_archer, I'm sure you got your problem solved. I assume your hinge assembly was jammed. Did you get it all straightened out? Tim :huh:
  • I loosened everything but the bands and got it to close enough to put out the coal. Somewhat irritated with it right now, going to let it cool and work on it in the morning before I try and cook some ribs with a burnt gasket. Thanks for all the help. On a positive note, the pizza came out great - ugly but very tasty.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Good you got it closed enough. I don't have an extra large to help you. Hopefully just loosen some of the hinge bolts. :unsure:

Glad your pizza came out great. ;)
  • Don't worry, gaskets are over rated anyway. :woohoo:
  • Ill be doing a search on oven gaskets tomorrow and ordering a new one.
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 86
    Send RRP a message and get a Rutland gasket from him. I just installed one, and am real happy with it. Just be sure to follow his instructions, and it should come out fine.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    This is the bolt that binds.
    One on each side.
    xl.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    The good news is it will cook just fine without a gasket. I have gone through several gaskets on my two Eggs and have done numerous cooks without a gasket. I could tell absolutely no difference in the way it cooks, although I am sure that the vents have to be ever so slightly more close to reach the same temp. The ONLY difference I could visibly notice was that at shutdown time it took longer to get the fire out and, therefore, burned more lump. Saving lump is the only reason I have found to replace gaskets.

Freddie
    League City, TX