Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Morro Bay Tri Tip Question

Options
Bash
Bash Posts: 1,011
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally found a couple of tri tips, and was going to cook one up tonight.

Looking over the Morro Bay recipe, I am not sure how to get garlic-infused vegetable oil. Is that something you buy, or make? If make, how do you do it? Also, would it matter if I just used OO instead? The recipe calls for 4 tablespoons of granulated garlic in the rub.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Richard

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I make my own garlic infused olive oil and use it in many ways... like sauteeing vegetables, for one. I halve at least a dozen, large cloves, put them in a bell jar and fill with olive oil. Then it sits on the countertop for 3 days and I shake & invert it a few times daily. Then I carefully strain out the garlic and the oil is ready to use. Stored in the fridge, it will set up nicely and you can spoon out what you need as necessary. As for the garlic, I use it during the next few days in whatever I'm cooking. Great stuff!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    heat some oil til about 250, smash some garlic, no need to chop it, toss into the hot oil for a few minutes and shut the heat off, let it cool. i used to just toss it into the oil for a week, month more, but supposedly you can get botulism that way. did that for years and years.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i also go lighter with his rub, the baste makes a huge difference, one of the only meats i would baste
    fukahwee maine

• Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Thanks. I'm cooking it tonight, so the hot method sounds good to me. Do you leave it in the oil or strain it out?

Richard
  • fishlessman
    Options
    it dont matter, the big chunks dont stick to the brush or mop, i like a mop and hit it every few minutes, its a pretty quick cook
    fukahwee maine