Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skillet Corn Bread

Options
Goody
Goody Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to Bass Pro Saturday and bought a new 8" cast iron skillet. Wanted the 10" but was sold out. Oh well I will just go back and get that 10" as well. Decided to try this recipe I got off Food Network, Alex's Day Off, on the Egg. Did it this Sunday afternoon before the snow came in to GA.

Wet & Dry Ingredients Ready to Mix

DSC_0016.jpg

Skillet warming with the LBGE.

DSC_0017.jpg

Done After 30 minutes at 400. Took a little longer since it was hard to get the egg to 425 in the cold with plate setter in. Next time may just do it direct on raised grid.

DSC_0019_3.jpg

Nice and brown, slid right out of the pan!

DSC_0021_7.jpg

Good thing I got done when I did! The snow started to fall 30 minutes after I finished. In the morning the egg looked like this!

DSC_0025_4.jpg

Comments

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    Looks good. I have to give skillet corn bread a try. Getting cabin fever here in Roswell.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• milesofsmiles
    Options
    Next time add some whole kernnel corn, maybe some jalapenos chopped. Your corn bread looks superior. A glass of it with some milk will be gooder as a late nite snack. :):):) Thanks for the pics. Ronnie Auburn rules for now. Go Vols. Recruit hugh.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I will have to try cornbread on my LGE. Congrats on Auburn's win extending the SEC dominance. Hopefully, the VOLS will be able to challenge again for the conference championships.
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words. For now we need Bruce back in six more games. Pat Head Summitt will have to hold U. T. for now. Ronnie.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Looks grate... how was the taste test?
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Preheat the plate setter in your oven. That happened to me too. Couldn't get heat past the cold frozen ceramic barrier.
  • Goody
    Options
    Sounds like some good suggestions. I will have to try some of those.
  • Goody
    Options
    It was pretty good. Had good flavor. While it was not dry, it was not as moist and buttery as I like corn bread. Some of my favorite corn breads in that regard are Cracker Barrel and, as crazy as it seems, Boston Market. I would hate to use more butter though as there is already and entire stick in it as it stands. Maybe adding some creamed corm would help. Give it a sweeter moister feel as well as some additional texture as suggested by milesofsmiles with the whole kernel corn and peppers.

I don't know. will have to play with it some.
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Forgive me, I must be a hillbilly, but how else would you make cornbread except in a skillet? :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Patty,you can heat it on the Egg.just add the platesetter as soon as you know the lump is lit and it will all come up to temp together..Never add a cold platesetter to an Egg unless you want to drop the dome temp DRASTICALLY. ;) I do that after I sear steaks.sear em Hi temp,pull off,throw in platesetter and roast to internal temp I desire.It will drop from 700 dome to 400 instantly. :)
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    I can smell it! Good lookin' cornbread.
  • Egger 4 6
    Options
    1 can creamed corn, 1 onion, 2 or 3 jalepenos...depends on personal pref, 2 cups cheese, 1/2 cup buttermilk. I'm by no means a pro but my wife and kids loved it!