Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza followup - Spinach

Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of tonight's pizza's will have some spinach. Any opinions on fresh vs. frozen. I could press the frozen to get out the moisture, but it seems like either one might lend too much liquid to the process. Thanks.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Trouble, I favor fresh. After washing (and pinching any big stems), give it time to dry. I shinks quite a bit so you can put on more than you think.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Trouble,[p]I have done it both ways. Surprisingly, there is a lot of moisture in fresh spinach. I now use frozen and let it defrost in a strainer. I also press it to get more moisture out.[p]Good luck!
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Trouble,[p]I'm in the fresh rather than frozen camp for this one. I think for cassaroles and other dishes the frozen would be just fine, but I think it'd be too hard to get it to not be "clumpy" unless you use the fresh.[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]PS Glad you were able to work things out so you can make it to the Florida Eggfest in March! We're looking forward to meeting you and your family.

[ul][li]2005 Florida Eggfest[/ul]
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Trouble, I use chopped frozen spinach. I defrost it in the microwave, then grab bunches in my hand and squeeze all the water out. Moisture is no problem at all.
    BTW, my favorite is creamy goat cheese on the crust(no red sauce), topped with spinach as described above, chopped sun dried tomatoes, and chopped Roma tomtatoes w/out the pulp. Sometimes I put mozzarella on top of all that, sometimes I don't.
    Scott

• Trouble
    Trouble,
    Wow...well I bought fresh baby spinach. I'll let you know how it goes. I've decided to do two pizzas on Boboli, hopefully to keep it simple this time around.[p]First will be BLT pizza. Crumbled bacon, lettuce (spinach) and plum tomatoes. Second is going to be ham, artichoke hearts and green onions. Lots of mozzarella cheese on both, with a bit of feta on pizza #2. I don't have a peel, either, so keep your fingers crossed.[p]Thanks for all the great responses--I'll let you know how they turn out.[p]Tonia--me too! Thanks.[p]Joyce

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Trouble,[p]I'll be really interested. The last 2 I cooked turned out great but the middle of the crust was a little soft while the outside was crunchy.[p]Make sure to use corn meal on the stone so it slides on and off easy. IMHO a peel is needed for fresh dough not Boboli. A spactual and cutting board will work or just a pizza pan. [p]Good luck,[p]Mike
  • Trouble
    Car Wash Mike,
    You guys are going to think I'm still washing clothes in the river pretty soon since I seem to have absolutely nothing, but (sigh) I don't have any corn meal. I thought it was only necessary for uncooked dough.[p]Is there a substitute? Should I list the four things in my pantry to save some time <grins>?[p]thanks.
    Joyce

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Trouble,[p]maybe you should call dominos tonight and make pizza next time.[p]LOL
  • Car Wash Mike
    Trouble,[p]I put corn meal down, but I'm not completely sure it was necessary. Give it a try and just keep using a spatual to loosen during the cook.[p]CWM
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Trouble,[p]Rice?
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Trouble, If you have some saltine crackers you could mash them into a powder and that might work. If not, do what Mark said. ;>)

• Pigasso
    Pigasso Posts: 111
    Trouble, - here is a pic of my first pizza. We used dough purchased from a local pizzaria, made a sauce found on the recipe page, sauteed fresh spinach with garlic in olive oil and pressed out the excess liquid. Egg at 425 for 25 minutes, plate setter and pizza stone. We also put the dough directly on a pizza pan which eliminated the need for a peel and corn meal - and we avoided burning the crust.[p]1stPizza.jpg

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Trouble,DUH! You are talking about taking them off. I thought you were using fresh dough, now I see the Boboli. I'll shut up now.

• Car Wash Mike
    Pigasso,[p]Great idea. The pizza pan.[p]CWM
  • Trouble
    Mark Backer,
    that one caused laughs out loud indeed![p]Heresy, I say !!! Heresy !!! Domino's PFFTLLT !!![p]How badly can boboli stick, anyway![p]I'm going in.[p]ohmigosh that was funny.

• Mark Backer
    Trouble,[p]Glad you took it as intended. With our neighbor owning his own pizza joint, I can't even joke about domino's. Well, I can, but all I get back is F.Y.B!![p]The B is my last initial. I'm sure you can figure out the rest.[p]p.s. it's been my goal since december to basically get him to say it every time I see him. it's fun!
  • Trouble
    sigmore,
    pay attention ! No, really, the crushed up crackers are a pretty good idea. I don't have a pizza pan, either. I swear I have modern plumbing...a washing machine, even.[p]Never needed a pizza pan or stone since the whole point of pizza night was NOT to cook. Now I have an egg and the world is a different place.[p]Joyce

• Mark Backer
    Trouble,[p]This sentence should be somewhere on the BGE front page as a customer quote:[p]"Now I have an egg and the world is a different place."[p]You will find that to be more and more true every day...

• Pigasso
    Pigasso Posts: 111
    Car Wash Mike,- yes my friend, a great idea indeed .... found on this very forum - previously posted by a fellow who got sick and tired of the crust burning. I believe a pizza screen would be as good or better than the pan, however I could not find one on Sunday ... and I wanted to cook pizza RIGHT AWAY!

• Trouble
    Pigasso,
    I might try a double thickness of Foil (that's FOIL, CWM, not "fail," which I have no intention of doing...I wondered why you were being so negative--sheesh!) between the plate setter and my Boboli. That would come close to pizza pan and I could slide the top one off onto serving platter. Have next pizza ready on foil...[p]I see my approach taking shape now, even with the most rudimentary of tools. Once again, thanks eggers.

• Car Wash Mike
    Trouble,[p]Note to self. Always preview message.[p]Mike
  • Mark Backer, Da' EGG is life changing...well said, bro