Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KUDOS to Tel-Tru

Options
Slotmercenary
Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just wanted to acknowledge the customer service from Tel-Tru thermometers. I bought 3 replacement units from them for my eggs and like an idiot I got the 2.5 inch 200-1000 degree units. After calibrating them on several occassions and using a couple of methods to do it, I could not get below a 50-60 degree variance. I sent an e-mail to ask what I was doing wrong and had several e-mail correspondences with Mary Lou Casanzio. we went back and forth on a couple of issues and to make a long story short they issued me a RMA # to send back the units, a 15% discount to cover the restocking fee, a full refund and also threw in the shipping costs I paid for the units!! I will be replacing them with the 150-750 degree models with the 5" stem.
I was advised that the new OEM units by Tel=Tru with the BGE logo have a slightly longer stem to correct the temp variances with the 2.5 stem.Now that is a true testament of what is MADE IN AMERICA!!!!!

THANK YOU TEL-TRU!!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    what i dont understand is why teltru doesnt offer the standard 4 inch stem we want. my 2.5 ich stem reads low but i can compensate for that with a little math and am now used to it. if they made a 3 inch stem or even the 4 inch i would get it but i always end up bending those longer stems
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    They are working on a fix to that situation. The new units being offered in the XL's are a bit longer for that reason. They just started making these type of units within the last years as their main business is with industrial and commercial heat and steam gauges.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    sounds like they bent over backwards to help you. BTW I'm still a fan of the 200 to 1,000 model. Reason is they don't recommend maxing out the top end too much or too often. With my high temp cooks I'm afraid I might damage the 750 cap, but not so with the 1,000 cap - but to each his own. ;)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    i havent been able to damage one with heat, invented alot of other ways to do one in though :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Good to hear. Gotta love these great vendors we use always trying to improve... Tim
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I did not have this kind of luck with Tel Tru. After a month of owning it it stuck at 500 degrees. I was told I had to send it back and they would look at it and then decide if they would send me a new one. I believe it was my 5th call when I finally asked for a manager that they agreed to pay the return shipping and send me a new thermometer. They sent me a slip so I could box it at home and the carrier would pick it up so I called and asked Tel Tru what day to leave it outside so it could be picked up since I didn't want to just leave it out there for days. I was told they would check and call me back and let me know. I called them back several days later after never getting a call back and finally got an answer. I got the 5" stem model which is accurate but the 5" stem sticks into almost everything you try to cook.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    hmmm, I use the 5" Tel Tru shortened to 4.5" which makes it only 1/2" longer than the BGE thermometer in my large, medium and small. The only thing I have ever impaled was a 24# turkey and that taught me how to remove the thermometer, close the lid and reinsert the thermometer.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.