Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

L BGE versus XL BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, I'm looking to buy a BGE and looking for input on the L versus XL BGE. I lost my Weber Gas grill in Hurricane Ivan. I'm not in a rush to purchase a BGE as my temporary quarters has a weber as well(however I sure would like to get started coooking on the BGE). I do know that when I go to replace my grill I want to purchase a BGE. Question that I have is are there any disadvantages to purchasing an Xl versus a L in terms of temps or consumption of lump? My family size is 7 so I"m thinking I may want to go with the XL. Also, any news on when the XL will be released?

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    biglagoon,[p]damn few have even seen the XL and even fewer have cooked on a production model. but as far as the large goes, it really depends on what you cook, my guess would be that with the right setups you could easily feed 7 or more people with the large and have room to spare for friends. Me, i'ld by the large and build a table for it, maybe make the table big enough to add a small or medium so that you can cook different foods a little easier. but i'ld deffinately by a ceramic cooker they are really somthin.[p]Scott

• Eggor, thanks for the reply. I'm definitely going with a BGE. Not doubt about that. Just hate to buy a L this month and find an XL available next month. Course I also understand that you can put off the purchase forever. Guess my question is if you are only feeding a small number of people, are there disadvantages to cooking on a larger BGE even though you are not taking up all the grill space? If not, then it would make sense to wait for the XL. If there are disadvantages to large Eggs when only cooking for a smaller number, then perhaps I should just go ahead and purchase a L BGE.
    Thanks,

• Buzzy
    Buzzy Posts: 29
    Options
    biglagoon,[p]The BGE store in Atlanta used to have a trade up policy that would allow you to buy the large now and trade in for the XL later. You might want to check on that option (with a local vendor it may not be available?) which would give you the chance to use the Large and see how it works for you.[p]However, you can cook an amazing amount of food on the large and even more with a grill extender.[p]I think either way you will be egging good.