Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket cooking temp...

EggSimon
EggSimon Posts: 422
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
... ok, not the first post with that topic here...
So please forgive me, that I nail it now again...

But I´m still on the way to the perfect brisket...

Before I cooked in the egg, I cooked brisket in the ProQ Watersmoker or Klose Offset pit. I cooked it always @ 245 F pit and foiled @ 160 F internal.

But since I´m a egghead I go another way, motivated by Bubba Tim´s Brisket Ramblings.
I cooked a brisket over night @ 245 F in the egg, as always. After I got up, I had a meat temp of 185 F. OK, the question of foiling was ansewered at this time and meat temp, and I cooked my first brisket w/o foil until 195 F internal, and hoped Bubba Tim is right...

...and he was. It was the best brisket I ever cooked. Tender, great bark, great flavor. All I wan´t.
I thought, my path to brisket heaven has finished now...

a few weeks later I cooked the next. All the same, ok injected with butchers marinade. 245 F pit, no foil. Flavor and bark was again great, but it was a bit dry. The flat of course, the point is nearly always great. I thought, perhaps I got an old milker...

A few days a ago I cooked my next. Again, did everything similar. And again, it was a bit dry.

So, it seems like I´m still not in heaven, I´m still on the path... :laugh:

So, my question. Could my pit temp be the reason for the dry flat ? Bubba Tim says 215 F pit. But my Metal Smoker fans says, that´s to less. The brisket takes very long @ 215 F and starts to drying out.
But I´m not sure, if it perhaps works in the egg ?
Because of the ceramic, there is a all over heat, and helps to cook the brisket faster, although the pit is 215 F ?

Sorry, neary as long as a novel...

Thanks for your ideas !

Comments

• srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    I'm kinda like you. I did one (and only one, so far) brisket on the egg. Pit temp was 225°F, cooked for as long as it took to get to 195°F internal and I pulled it from the pit - no foil. The thing turned out wonderfully. My reading indicates that I might have gotten really lucky.

I've read that briskets are kinda funny in that you use the temp as guide in that one should start testing tenderness at about 185°F (insert fork, twist, should twist easily). That's what I've read and that's what I'm going to try on my next one.

I sure hope someone with more experience will add a comment or two to this :)

Edit: The one referenced was only a flat - still looking for a source for the full packer :blink:
  • I cooked my last brisket at 225 degrees Grill Temp (~250 dome), fat side down. I mop it every hour (spray with olive oil and butter). I wrapped it in tinfoil at 160, added some butter and olive oil and cooked it to 205 degrees internal. I then pulled it, wrapped it in towels, and threw it into a cooler for two hours. It came out great and moist.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Don't go by time or temperature. Use the tenderness of the brisket to tell you when to pull it. This is usually somewhere between 185 and 205 internal temp.

Also, always try to cook a packer cut brisket.

I use the fork test to check for tenderness and this has always worked great.

Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Shiff wrote:
    Don't go by time or temperature. Use the tenderness of the brisket to tell you when to pull it. This is usually somewhere between 185 and 205 internal temp.

I make also always he poke test. The last 2 brisket hit the poke test, ist was very tender, and the probe goes into the flat like in warm butter. But anyway it wasn´t as juicy as I ecpected or want to have.