Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scanner

cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in Off Topic
What do people have/recommend and what am I looking for in one?
Thanks for your feedback.
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    you talking photo scanners or radio scanners
  • cookn biker
    photo. Thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    an epson flatbed scanner might be what you need for photos, books, etc. minimum 8.5x11 (usually 8x14).

i make my living scanning my drawings and shipping them off to clients, and frankly, there isn't anyone yet who really needs anything more than 300 dpi UNLESS YOU ARE ENLARGING them.

i personally would stay away from any scanner that you feed a document into, or one that is hand-held and dragged along the image.

here's a scanner for under a hundred bucks...
    Epson Scanner

I have found Epsons to be much quieter than most, and at least with the higher end models the software has been pretty good too.

sometimes they come with photoshop elements, but you can get an open-source ('free') alternative to photoshop here >> GIMP
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Stike, that looks like a pretty good deal. I purchased a Pandigital portable unit about a year ago, nothing but problems and poor scan quality. I am going to give this one a try. The Pandigital was more than a hundred bucks and a dissapointment to boot..
    Thanks
    Rick
  • cookn biker
    Thanks man! I should have gone right to you.. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • stike
    well, don't blame me entirely if it goes wrong.... :laugh:

i would say it will handle what you need it to do very well, based on my luck with them.

i am used to epson's somewhat higher-end scanners, but have had good luck with them. they do the right things well, and haven't encountered many bad things, if any.

microtek was a decent scanner for the price, but they no longer make scanners.

this is mine. a 12x17, which i LOVE. it's somewhat lo-end commercial grade, and this is the CHEAP version. there's a model above it. ouch
    Epson GT-20000
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I like the Epson as well.
    I have a 4870 photo at work and two other Epson scanners at home. 10000XL and V700. Never any issues.

Give this a look as well.
    Epson direct has great prices of referbs.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63060806
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Back in the day :ermm: I was heavily involved with "digitizing"
    comedy LP vinyl records and scaning the jackets in 2 scans and then using photo merge to make a single image of the jacket. Sure wish someone made a scanner that would was wide enough for an LP jacket.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stike
    at least your version of photoshop had photomerge. :laugh:

i had an old scanner for the MacPLUS that went into the printer in place of the printhead. it would feed the image thru and scan it that way.

amazingly, i never knew it was grey scale until monitor resolution/display supported it. the image was bitmap on a mac (and i mean black OR white dots, no grey). but when i opened the file on a high end monitor, i found a nice greyscale image.

heck, that must have been 1987 or '88
    yikes
  • cookn biker
    Thanks Darian.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"