Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast question

Options
NC-CDN
NC-CDN Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a bone-in rib roast this afternoon. I have a few questions.....

Do I remove the twine around the roast or leave it on?

Should I remove any of the exterior fat (obviously hard to do if the twine stays in place)?

When I do pork butts I usually trim off some of the fat, but leave a thin layer. With them I tend to put the fat side up while cooking, so in theory the fat can penetrate into the meat. Should the rib roast be cooked fat side up or fat side down?

If this is needed....I'll be doing it indirect with my platesetter, likely with the roast on the grid or a rib rack (any benefit from one to the other?) Going at around 250 grid. I'll have a drip pan beneath. Should any liquid be placed in the drip pan? What type?

Thanks for any input. I've only done a couple of these and it's been a while and want to make sure it comes out good. My last one did, but I don't recall what all I did. LOL.

Comments

• SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    1) If you aren't going to trim it, leave the twine on, it's holding it together.

2) I wouldn't trim it, but it's a personal opinion. If you do trim it, tie it back up with butcher's twine before you cook it.

3) Cook it fat side up so the fat drizzles down into the meat for added flavor. Again, this is a personal preference.

4) I don't put liquid in my drip trays, but you could put some beef broth or red wine in it if you wanted.

Go indirect. The rib rack isn't necessary, but it will help keep it together on the Egg. It also raises it up a bit and can help get a better crust on the roast.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Do I remove the twine around the roast or leave it on?

I take it off, season between the bones and the roast, then re-tie. It the twine is also holding the fat cap (or if you have a boneless roast) I do the same thing.

Should I remove any of the exterior fat (obviously hard to do if the twine stays in place)?

I leave it on for the cook, it's a good insulator.

When I do pork butts I usually trim off some of the fat, but leave a thin layer. With them I tend to put the fat side up while cooking, so in theory the fat can penetrate into the meat. Should the rib roast be cooked fat side up or fat side down?

The fat won't penetrate the meat, but it does keep the surface moist and along with the seasonings will help in bark formation. If I have a bone-in roast I cook them bone down. If it's a boneless one I cook them fat down

If this is needed....I'll be doing it indirect with my platesetter, likely with the roast on the grid or a rib rack (any benefit from one to the other?) Going at around 250 grid. I'll have a drip pan beneath. Should any liquid be placed in the drip pan? What type?

I use a plate setter too and cook mine just on the grid so I don't have to clean the V rack. But either way will be fine. No liquid in the drip pan for me.

Thanks for any input. I've only done a couple of these and it's been a while and want to make sure it comes out good. My last one did, but I don't recall what all I did. LOL.

A prime rib is about the easiest thing you can barbecue, You're not really cooking it, just warming it up... Heheee. Just don't overshoot your internal temp for the doneness you want and you will be fine. Consider that the roast will rise 5° to 10° while resting, so allow for that.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Andrew,

I will be doing one this evening and I think your questions will be answered at the Mad Max site - the method I will use. The only difference is that I think I will use a roasting pan on my platesetter (always with some kind of spacer btwn the PS and the bottom of the pan for air flow). Putting the bone side down allows the bones to be their own rack of sorts.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm

Good luck and let us know how it turns out - PICS PLS ! :woohoo:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Andrew,

Pur some spacers between the platesetter and the drip pan to prevent the drippings from scorching.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NC-CDN
    Options
    Little Steven wrote:
    Andrew,

Pur some spacers between the platesetter and the drip pan to prevent the drippings from scorching.

Steve
    &Misipi
    Ahh...Now I see what is meant by spacers. Yeah my drippings always char up. Even when using apple juice/cider vinegar on my pork butts. Never thought of that. I'll have to think of something to put in there. Great advice.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Time to get the EGG going and get the meat prepped.

thirdeye..I was looking at the playing with fire site and saw your input about prime rib (your site?). I'm doing the jus like that. That is the basis for how I was going to do the meat too. Can't wait. I love prime rib. Harris Teeter had it on sale so I got a $60 piece of meat for $37. Not bad.

Thanks again. You guys are great. AND FAST!!!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I use copper plumbing T-fittings or 90* fittings. Worst case you can balled up aluminum foil.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NC-CDN
    Options
    Little Steven wrote:
    I use copper plumbing T-fittings or 90* fittings. Worst case you can balled up aluminum foil.

Steve

That is exactly what I did. :) It was about the first thing I thought of that I had on hand and that was easy. Needed to get it going. Good call. I wanted to use duct tape, but....

Actually I could use that to stop any excess smoke from coming out as my EGG doesn't pass the 50 1$ bill stack test in some spots. :unsure:

I did cut the meat back from the ribs and put extra seasoning in there as per thirdeye's recommendation as well. Just used pepper, garlic powder and Kosher salt. Kept it simple.

Thanks again. Enjoy the game BTW. Unfortunately I can only get updates off of TSN.ca down here. I'm talking about Canada vs Sweden.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Andrew,

Surprisingly good game so far. Tied at 1.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON