Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any tips for smoking a ham?

Options
Does anyone have any tips on smoking a raw ham, i.e. cooking temperature and desired internal temperature of the meat? I searched the site for “ham” but the search engine produced zero results. Thanks!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    The VERY CONSEVATIVE USDA now recognizes pork as cooked and safe at 145F internal temperature.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    Looks like the search function is broken.

This is a great guide. Egret

Edit: the moderator informed me that three letter words currently are not indexed, so searches for ham and rub etc. will not return hits.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    This is an Egret ham before and after. :P

100_0435.jpg

100_0437.jpg

VERY juicy and flavorful. I did this one today.
  • Bluedot
    Options
    I plan to cook a fresh ham and will go to 160 degrees internal. I found an old post that cooked the first hour at 400 degrees and the remaining at 325 degrees. I think the cook is based on 20 minutes per pound plus 30 minutes. Let me see if I can relocate the post & I will post the link.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Please do you and your guests a favor and pull at 140-145 Internal.Wish you the best of luck whatever you decide. ;)
  • Bluedot
    Options
    Look at his post ....

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=4709&catid=1

The question has been asked about internal temp in several of the posts found doing a search for "fresh ham". Apparently very few have cooked a fresh ham and the internal temp, cooking temps and duration are guesstimates.

Let me know what you decide on and the outcome. I plan to cook one next weekend.

Thanks
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    The OP of that link says that he is going for "pulled pork" ham, which is why he/she says they will go to 170. No reason to do that for sliced ham, imho. 150 MAX and I would do it slo and lo, 250.
  • Hoss
    Options
    ANY PORK is SAFE AND COOKED according to the VERY CONSERVATIVE USDA @ 145F degrees I.T.That 170 stuff is OLD SCHOOL!That's why everybody thinks pork and chicken is dry.It ain't dry if you don'nt overcook it. :) Overcookers are the reason sauce businesses do so well.Most people have never had properly cooked pork or chicken,so it's dry,ergo...sauce.Bottom line,if you are gonna cook to 170 ,you might as well go to 195F and have pulled pork ham.It will be good ,but not as flavorful and juicy as if you had pulled it at 140.Try one,it ain't a lotta money to spend.EGGsperiment.There is no ONE way to cook anything,It's what you,your family and your friends like.Blessings to you and yours for a Happy New Year! :)
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Is your fresh ham "cured" or is it just a "ham" cut....

If its cured you could eat it raw if you want to..(ie prusciutto).

If it isn't cured you are cooking a pork roast...
  • Yep, it is a pretty fresh ham - I just butchered the hog and wrapped it up.

Thanks to all for your responses! I'll post a picture of the finished product.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!!!