Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP!!!

Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a dilemma... My wife came home and sprung on me that I am expected to bring pulled pork to a new years party tomorrow. I have a full day so I put the butts on the egg earlier hoping that a higher temp would finish them up by now. I need to get to bed (need to be up in 6 hours) and the butts are at about 165. Can I take them off, wrap them in foil, refrigerate and then put in oven at 250 tomorrow at around 11 am in order to get them to temp by 2PMish? I've never paused a butt before. IDEAS??? Any help is much appreciated

Comments

• What size are they and how long have they been on? What temp are they cooking at?
  • they are cooking at around 300 now as I increased temp... they've been on for 8 hours and are both around 8 pounds
  • If you are going to be up in six hours, can you not dial it down to 230-250 and leave them on? Depending on how long they have been at 300 they should be fine for another six hours, especially at 230.

At 250 start to finish they should have to cook about 15 hours total, and some have been known to be stubborn and take much longer. I think I would dial it down to 230 and go to bed, personally.

They will plateau at about 180 and could stay there for over an hour before they move up at all.
  • ok... guess my real question (I had thought of your idea) is how much of a chance is there that they will be ruined and overcooked? My guess is the majority of the cooking time has been at 300 and the 160 plateau has been almost at an hour now. Could I just leave vents and wheel open the smallest bit and not worry they will turn out dry?
  • You can cook pork butts to over 200 and still be fine. I pull them at 195, but I know several folks that swear that the fat rendering isn't completely done until 212, so you should be fine. You aren't going to dry it out. Just close the vents down enough to get it to 230-240.
  • Thanks... I think I just needed to hear it from someone else. I turned the wheel and the vent to the smallest point where I was comfortable it would stay lit... though I have another thought to run by you.

Since they do not take on smoke flavor after 140ish, couldn;t I put my oven to 210, wrap them in foil, and throw them in there until I wake up?
  • In theory, yes you could. But honestly, you are now entering a world that I am not too familiar with, an oven. LOL. I can't see where that would hurt anything, some folks finish ribs off that same way.
  • understood... I hate the oven but this isn;t my party and given the lack of warning, the hosts can deal with whatever I bring them... though it will definitely still be great.
  • Go to bed...They will be fine!
    As SP has said, just crank down the Egg and bit and let it cook.
    I pull mine at 200 F and the plateau can be a loooooong time coming.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I think that is the best idea. You've adjusted it to go higher temp wise from what I'm reading. I'd had to wake up tomorrow and see you posting that the fire died on you and wondering if it safe to eat. I think the oven at 220ish is a good way to get this cook done.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    SPH told you rite.Double wrap in HDAF and throw in the oven til you are ready to feed.Safe temp,no lost sleep.It will not be as good as "off the Egg" but it will be safe and delicious! I promise.The 140smoke saturation temp is Bull$hitt.It quits developing a smoke ring at that temp.It will absorb smoke flavor the whole cook time,BUT if it's been on for a few hours only the MOST Qed eaters will know the difference. ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Read my post below. ;)
  • hey... the foil wrap and the oven was my idea!

Anyway, I just pulled it from the oven and it will sit for a bit before I pull it. I have to run out for an appointment so will likely pull in 2 1/2 hours. The plan is for the party host to reheat them anyway to be used for pulled pork sliders this evening.

Thanks for all the help!
  • Success!

Thanks to those who weighed in. I ultimately went w/ my decision but the various opinions helped me to make the choice.

Happy New Year!