Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally made a good pizza

fiercetimbo17
fiercetimbo17 Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So tonight I was cooking for myself so i decided to try another pizza. Im only trying it because the girlfriend is at work and the other attempts have failed that bad
I saw a thread the other day about using the egg feet under to pizza stone to keep from burning the crust. That was the majority of the problem so i tried that but I also went with a new crust and sauce recipe.
Crust could have been a little more done for my taste but next time I will get the egg hotter, temp dropped more than I expected when I added the platesetter and stone. Cooked at 450 for 15 or so mins
Here it is before
1ab6fd2c.jpg
Done
bdafdef0.jpg
So much better with the feet under the stone
49890bf6.jpg

Comments

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Nice pie!!! The egg ia always trial and error so keep trying for perfection!!

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Good pizza is getting to be my quest for the Holy Grail. I saw a thread on another forum that suggested putting the plate setter and the stone in the cooker once the fire is going good and let it come up to temperature with the egg. Maybe that would give you a crispier crust?

Like you, I just keep on trying and eatin' the lessons!

Great looking pizza!

Pat
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    I have yet to succeed with pizza - I've burned up several and thrown away more than I like to admit. Your pizza looks good! I'll keep trying, sooner or later I'm bound to get one that merits a picture! ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If you put cold stuff in a hot egg, of course the temp will drop. Put everything in the egg (platesetter, feet and pizza stone) right after you get the lump going. When the egg stabilizes at your target temp - with all of those parts already in the egg - THEN it's time to cook.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Next time place your plate setter legs up, then your cooking grid, and then your pizza stone on top of that. Stabilize everything at about 450° to 500° and you'll be golden.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    By all means,put in the platesetter and pizza stone in as soon as you realize the is lit.This way they come up to temp with the ceramics inside the Egg.If you get the Egg to temp then add them you need to wait 30 minutes for the added(room temp) ceramics to reach the same temp as the Egg.Give it a try. :) Good Luck!
  • Hoss
    Dayum I type slow! ;) :laugh: There were 3 replies before I could type mine! :whistle: :S
  • Hoss
    That is my preferred setup also. :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    tough gettin' old, ain't it? :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    :laugh: You got that RITE! :unsure:
  • As Homer Simpson says ...MMMMMM PIZZZZAAAAAH

BTW - I say that too!
  • I tried to get it hotter, I did not have alot of lump in the egg. After lighting i let the temp come up tp 550 and added the plate setter. Tried everything to get the temp up except adding more lump and about 30 mins I put the pizza on at 425-450 ish and it could never recover. By the end of the cook it was lower than 400. I know it was lack of lump I was just curious how it would do with that amount in the egg.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I, also am on a mission to get them right. Yours looks pretty dang good.
    A friend gave me some 00 Caputo flour to try, and a recipe. I was going to get that recipe and Zippy's ready tomorrow. Rest in fridge for Sunday. I'll post.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • The only thing I can say about that pie is...SUCCESS! All you have left to do is the tweaking, because you have the basics down solid.

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    I did not read all the above replies, but do you see the doneness of the right side compared to the left side?
    maybe a turn part way through might help . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Some success with pizza made me order a new peel, the current one in the pictures is not very good. Almost like balsa wood. I went with a super peel because ive always had issues with dough sticking to the peel
  • fiercetimbo17 wrote:
    So tonight I was cooking for myself so i decided to try another pizza. Im only trying it because the girlfriend is at work and the other attempts have failed that bad
    I saw a thread the other day about using the egg feet under to pizza stone to keep from burning the crust. That was the majority of the problem so i tried that but I also went with a new crust and sauce recipe.
    Crust could have been a little more done for my taste but next time I will get the egg hotter, temp dropped more than I expected when I added the platesetter and stone. Cooked at 450 for 15 or so mins
    Here it is before
    1ab6fd2c.jpg
    Done
    bdafdef0.jpg
    49890bf6.jpg

What crust and sauce recipe did you use if I may ask?
  • fiercetimbo17 wrote:
    Here it is before
    1ab6fd2c.jpg
    Done
    bdafdef0.jpg
    49890bf6.jpg

What crust and sauce recipe did you use if I may ask?
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Practice is the best part of this hobby
    No more take out pizza for you :laugh:

Shane
  • I get soooo confused how people have such a hard time with pizza. Light your fire, put the platesetter in legs down then put you pizza stone on with something between the plate setter for air circulation. Little Green Feet are best. Get it to 450 and let it sit there for 30 mins. Put your pizza on and rotate every couple minutes. 8 mins max and your pizza is done... The problem isn't making them, it's making them fast enough....
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    SmokinSoCal wrote:
    I get soooo confused how people have such a hard time with pizza. Light your fire, put the platesetter in legs down then put you pizza stone on with something between the plate setter for air circulation. Little Green Feet are best.
    Easier said then done. I made 4 pizza's and burnt 4 pizza's. Just got the pizza stone for the last one. Making a pizza as I write this. Will put it in the oven and it will come out great. I am going to try legs up on my small. Hopefully the stone and dome temp will be closer. Legs down and the platesetter and pizza stone were much hotter than dome temp which burns the crust prior to the top of the pie. I have been making home made dough for 8 years. Still experimenting with it. My latest dough seems to do fine by me. It is very stretchable without tearing and can be stretched to 1/16" thick yielding a nice NY style pizza.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Really nice looking pie! :)