Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet Another Prime Rib for Christmas

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    v-rack and platter for transport and to collect drippings. there are very few drippings with aged meat (usually nothing more than fat), but just in case.

i used the platesetter for the indirect. you can see that even with that the very few drippings that DID come out were still burned (right under the roast). the grid just gave me distance between the platesetter and the pan.

my wife got that pan at a 'Yankee Swap' many years ago. it was a white elephant swap, too, where it's all just an excuse to pawn off junk on someone else. she dove on that platter like a hobo on a ham sandwich. it's gotten much use over the years, but that was the first time in the BGE
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    have you met an alcohol you didn't like? :laugh:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    i keep telling myself that i dont like maccallans 25 :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    ...here's one of the knives, in the back. i like the curve on the blade. great for skinning and sliced right thru the rib eye along the bones like buttah. thin stamped blade, but keenly sharp. sharpens easily.

belly_bacon_04.jpg
  • this one was $26.99/lb wegmans angus prime..
    when i was doing my christmas shopping i did not have my meals planned and picked it up 'just in case' i could not justify the waygu on a whim.. their waygu looks dry aged, this looks like a cross between dry and wet it surely does not have a pellilce but that is changing..will post pics at completion..
  • Nice colour (note superfluous "u")on the roast! Still can't understand why it took so long but it's time for me to start aging again. Can't imagine you eating raw beef ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    it went on cold, i had been drinking Laphroaig all day, and maybe my thermometer is off. no worries.

guests wanted to at at six. we had wanted 4. they got here a little late, i got a late start, and we ended up at 6 anyway.
  • stike
    if you look at the rib side and underside, you can see some great browning. there wasn't much fat on this one (alas), but the crust from the oil and salt, together with the aged outer portion, really crisps up nice. RRP mentions that the hard "rind", which scares many folks away, actually softens and becomes what i'd dare say is the best part of the roast. lotta flavor there.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    you should be able to get white oak at home depot,lowes, or any hardware store.

As Stike mentions, any branches you can pick up around the neighborhood.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    beautiful...nough said!
  • stike
    thx
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Beautiful roast prime and I loved the flaming pudding.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    With that pan/rack set-up, Jeff could quickly spin the pan if needed during the cook.... but if you cook them right on the grate, the string works great for picking it up and rotating 90°.

DSC01487a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    thanks
    i thought that shot of the pudding on fire would get a few more comments than it did. hahaha
    ah well.

that's actually a still from the video. my brother and sister in law, and the wife and kids, were all ooohing and aaaahing, even clapping. but my sister-in-law's dad was all blase'... "oh. huh. i see" hahaha
  • stike
    lookee the fatcap on that one... mmm mmmm

do you age yours? gotta get you on the bandwagon!
  • thirdeye
    I just call it drying as I only go 4 or 5 days. I've enjoyed aged beef that I purchased, but I just haven't done it at home because of the wide opinions on the importance of some of the variables involved.

That said, I would tend to agree with the conclusion(s) expressed in this article (page 10) with regards to home agers testing their parameters and proving your method through experimentation.

http://www.beefresearch.org/CMDocs/BeefResearch/Dry%20Aging%20of%20Beef.pdf
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• stike
    i haven't looked at the link yet(and i will), but i found that i actually felt better about aging at home in part due to the fact that the opinions varied as widely as they did. meaning: for ex, much of the importance placed on the idea of humidity (we have folks here constantly asking how it is controlled, or worrying about the levels) seems to be merely preference.

some producers age at low humidity, some at higher. even then, it looks to me like water loss tops out somewhere around 15% anyway.

i think it is something that is more an art than science. and i don't understand fully either the art or science behind it.

i'll say though that despite the variables or temp, humidity, etc, i haven't found anything that even implied it could be dangerous. it all seems to come down to quality issues. off-flavors, etc.
  • stike
    this is the study i found last year i think. i haven't found anything in it that made it sound difficult or dangerous. in fact, it only confirmed my gut. for me, the main points being that aging actually helps guard against microbial action, and that humidity was a quality issue (mold, mainly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in small amounts), and not really a safety issue.

this was in less attractive format last time i saw it. looks like they slicked this up for the commercial trade. hahaha i found it written in some boring font with no cool pics.

anyway... i find the more i delve into these greatly mysterious things (curing and aging) the LESS complicated they seem to be. there's a logic to it that i find satisfying.

everything done for a reason, and none of it too complicated. it's probably riskier to drive to the store to BUY aged beef than it is to age it yourself.
  • thirdeye
    I have a feeling temperature, humidity and airflow are all important enough to really be called an essential variable.... And it would be easy enough to monitor temp and humidity in your beer fridge. As for airflow, I don't know if they are talking about introducing fresh air, or if circulation is the prime goal. At any rate something like a couple of computer cooling fans would be easy to rig up. I think how nice they would work almost every time I rest several salmon fillets in the fridge to get the pellicle set.

Aging is actually no different than doing home canning or home curing. All of these have the possibility of producing products that can be very unsafe to eat, so the experts advise folks to follow instructions to the letter, and when selecting a new method to go with a "proven method".

DSC01480ra.jpg

Speaking of canning, I de-boned and canned a #13 turkey at Christmas this year. I got it all into five 1-1/2 pint jars. It just goes to show why canning was so popular... you can really put some serious food on the shelf.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• stike
    crazy turkey, mang. i like the idea of grabbing one off the shelf and having turkey on a moment's notice. hahaha

an interesting bit of info has been creeping into the discussion ron and I have been having re: aging. i had been thinking that drying commando might cause it to be too dry aftr going to the extremes of anything past 28 days. and thought maybe bagging the meat might slow it down. i think what ron and i (and i think a couple others) have been finding though is that regardless how we age, or even how long, we are all topping out at 15% weight loss (water). i find it very interesting. seems to imply that there's a plateau, and that most loss occurs during the early period anyway.

ron and i finally hashed out (with some info from the dry-bag gurus) that commando may dry out more quickly up front, but then the pellicle becomes less permeable. conversely, the dry bags might be slower to dry up front, but toward the end, their less-thick pellicle (the surface, i mean, maybe not a pellicle exactly) is actually thinner because of the slower drying, and it actually allows more (faster) drying at the end than commando. so we are both ending up around the same weight loss for the same period. but one goes faster early then slows, and the other is slower, but continues more at the end. all good to understand.

i'd always assumed that a wetter environment would allow longer aging (before it got 'too' dry). but hoss (i think) went 50 days, i'm at 45 or so with the left over chunks, and it seems we're all still around 15%.

my point is i guess that although they are essential variables, it doesn't mean there's a narrow window. even w/r/t temps. of course we don't want to be outside 'safe' temps, but there is also a reason to not be too cold. the enzyme action slows the lower you go. so even with temps there's a range, from a little too cold (sub freezing) to just below the 'safe' threshold (if we call that 40). my comfort is 34 or so. gives me a good buffer below 40.

anyway... not to belabor it. i just think the more we understand what's happening, and why it's happening, the less anxiety there is.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Jeff,

just to set the record straight I have not had a single one of the 5 I've done in Drybags top out at 15%. Here's my results:

21 day NY 18%

28 day ribeye 19%

35 day ribeye 19%

35 day NY 21%

45 day ribeye 21%

Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    good to know. i stand corrected. i thought you were pegging at 15%.

damn.

hmmm.
    i swear, your honor, i would remember the defendant's face anywhere. or so i thought.... :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Great tip on the ends.I have had a primal drying now for about week.I think I'll oil and paper the ends.The meal looks scrumptous.(Yes, that means REALLY YUMMEE in my world!) :) Have a Happy New Year.
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Best narration I've read in A LONG time. Well done, sir. Great looking pics too.
  • stike
    thanks hoss. hey. remind me. did yougo 50 days 'commando' this year? and did you record the weight loss? for some reason i thought we were all trending at 15% weight loss, relatively flat.

(weight loss in the meat, not our bodies! :laugh: )

happy new year to you, too
  • Thats a great looking prime rib!
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Great story ;) What a treasure that is for your family. Thanks for sharing, gave me goosebumps
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Fanfriggintabulous, mister!

If I act soon, I can have a roast at 45 days for the frozen fest. can you picture that? not a half bad plan
  • stike
    ask around. i tend to "narrate" a lot. hahahaha
    thanks for the props.
  • stike
    see? no message