Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ place

golffer
golffer Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Several months ago someone ate at a BBQ resturant in Lexington, SC and indicated that it was very good. I am traveling there this week and would like to experiment. Anyone remember the name? Thanks

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    How about Lexington NC?

Posted by: vidalia1 on 2010/12/06 11:52:08

Well despite 2" of snow in Winston-Salem during the bball game Ginny & I made our way to Lexington BBQ in Lexington, NC. This is one of 4 towns in the US which claim to be BBQ capitals...well the place wasn't easy to find but when we got there it was worth the trip.

We both ordered the coarse chopped BBQ plate which came with red slaw (very tasty & completely different) & hush puppies which were also good.

I got the coarse chooped (brown or outside) think bark and Ginny got the inside pieces. We liked them both with the outside having a smokier flavor as you would expect. The sauce was tasty and the hot & spicy sauce was also a treat. We also ordered fine chopped sandwiches to go (it was a 4 hr drive from there). The sandwich was very good with lots of finely chopped que & the red slaw on the bun.

We also had the peach cobbler for dessert. It was more like a peach pie with a thick sugar coated pie crust on top. Also very tasty as was the sweet tea.

Was this the best BBQ I have ever eaten...no but it was in the top 5 for sure. It was different in they use pork shoulders & no rub so the bark had a nice crunch but wasn't tough at all. It had a mild smokey flavor. Over all I would give this joint an A and we have put it in our GPS for the next time we drive through that part of NC. It is worth the detour, even in the snow...

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    The only Q joint I know of in the Columbia SC area (Lexington) is Maurice's Piggie Park. "Welcome to Piggie Park, how can I hep ya?" My son went to USC for a bit and had a part time job at Maurice's. Had to say that to every person who walked through the door. Spoken, of course, as a New Englander! I don't think anyone understood him! Hahahaha - He HATED it!! :laugh:

Q's not bad as I recall, though not egg quality. Even the mustard sauce isn't overpowering. But it sure is weird seeing yellow Q!! There must be other places, but that's the only one I know anything about.

Oh, and Hoss - they chop it there too!! :laugh:

EDIT: I just looked and they have two stores in Lex...

http://www.mauricesbbq.com/restaurants.cfm

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    The person that ate there and gave the review was vidalia1
  • Hoss
    :ohmy: :unsure: :ermm: :whistle: :( No wonder it was'nt very good. :laugh: ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Dude, it's the MUSTARD!!! Who puts mustard on Carolina Q?!! Chopped is awesome! THIS is their sauce! I mean, really - who would do that to perfectly good Q? :laugh:

2-Original-Sauces.gif

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    DAYUM,that looks like French's! :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Yup! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Try Hudsons BBQ. Maurices is way over priced IMO. Hudsons is on Hwy 378 nearI-20. Either way....it does not touch BBQ off the egg. Welcome to SC.
  • Try Hudsons BBQ. Maurices is way over priced IMO. Hudsons is on Hwy 378 nearI-20. Either way....it does not touch BBQ off the egg. Welcome to SC.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Nope the one I ate in was Lexington BBQ in Lexington, NC..not SC...

and we like Maurices Mustard based BBQ sauce also...and it is made in SC...not NC....confused??? LOL B) :woohoo:
  • jbh
    jbh Posts: 23
    There's Shealy's and Hite's over between Leesville and Columbia.

These places specialize in mustard-sauced chopped Q and are probably the best examples of that style, which is specific to the area. Shealy's also has ordinary Q but it's...well...ordinary. Haven't been to Hite's in a long time.